• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wher do i get 8.25" 27sp cromo axles

watch your wording.
CrMo refers to 4340 most typically when talking axle tech.
for the longest time it was felt that 4340 is not a safe choice for rear axles due to it not being tolerant of bending stresses in a semifloat axle. Alloy USA just raised the bar on that with the release of a CrMo 4340 shaft for rear D44 axles. They says its ok because the bearing is pressed on instead of riding on the axleshaft. other than that, CrMo is mainly used in front and rear full floating applications.
for the rear, most aftermarket shafts are made from 1541h alloy steel. not as strong as 4340 but absolutly stronger than OEM 1040 alloy.
Simply put, Yukon C8.25 shafts are made from 1541h alloy and are said to be approximatly 20-25% stronger than OEM.

Well...

Actually, 4340 is nickel-chrome-molybdenum and 4140 is chrome-molybdenum.

I know what you meant though.

Sorry,
NiCrMo
you are correct. Very few mfg's use 4140 when 4340 is available.

Yup, 1541h alloy. can't get any stronger for ya.

uhhh... I think Rawbrown just answered that for you....

EDIT: he beat me to it....

If your going to bother with cromo... why not do it right with 29 spline and change the carrier? Sure, it will cost you a little more money - but as they say, do it right, do it once.

-jm

Rawbrown said:
Alloy USA just raised the bar on that with the release of a CrMo 4340 shaft for rear D44 axles. They says its ok because the bearing is pressed on instead of riding on the axleshaft. other than that, CrMo is mainly used in front and rear full floating applications.

Quote from email:
Me> I believe we were talking about Yukon 1050 for the rear. What kind of steel rear Alloy USA is made of and is it suitable to run in my application ?
Vendor>It's 4340 chromolly. Better than 1050.

Question, what kind of steel Alloy USA part#21118 ( shaft for Chrysler 8.25 29 splines) are made of ? I am a little scared of 4340 for the rear.

Thank you,
Andrey

Back