• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do to my xj?

Dallas

NAXJA Forum User
I'm kinda new around here, and have been planning a lift for my xj. Here's what I'm thinking.

RE 3.5" superflex full spring kit
RE1600 trackbar
OME shocks
teraflex ESS SYE and Tom Woods CV Driveshaft

What do you guys think? Actually the only thing really keeping me from going aheah and doing it is i'm not sure I'd be happy with the 3.5" kit. I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead with a 4.5" kit, so any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

All sound like good ideas. Do your homework, figure out what your going to do with the Jeep, then plan your build accordingly. Just be aware that it never ever ends once you start..

If you are doing a build in stages there are many trains of thought about what to do first. I went with skids and and a winch first, then the suspension, tires, drivetrain and so on as time and money permitted. Still doing it as a matter of fact.

Right what is the intended use of my jeep...it is my DD so it will spend a lot of time on the roads. We get a fair amount of snow around here, but I'm sure either of the options will handle that. I plan on using it for fairly mild offroading like fishing trips to canada where last few hours of driving are on logging roads, but I also want it to be very capable. For example because it will be the only vehicle on such trips. I would like to take my xj on a lot of trips out west, so I don't want to compromise the on road driving, but I also want to be able to do some off roading once I get there. So what are opinions about the compromise that is best for me. I should say that the money difference between the two kits is not a concern. Also while I'm at it a couple quick questions about the 4.5 superflex kit. Would I need the t-case lowering kit that is included if I am planning on using the teraflex ESS sye? And I can see that the 4.5 kit says it will clear 32's, but should I expect (and how much) rubbing if I decided on 32s. I don't really want to trim.

Have you looked at Currie? They make a good kit . Complete cost about 2400.00 Thats every thing Rancho RS 9000 Shocks. Johnny joint upper and lower control arms H.D stearing new Deaver leafs 4" coils u bolts 231 tail shaft kit 5" rear shakles. Im going to get this kit for my self

For the amt. of on road driving i'd stick w/ the 3.5", when i had it on my 2000, it settled to around 4", i had 31's on it and i loved the way it looked and it was very capable. What year is your jeep? w/ the 3.5" i deffinatly needed an SYE even w/ the 3.5". Good luck w/ your decision.

No one thinks I should forego having to pay more money later if I want to lift 4.5"? Is the general consensus 3.5"? There aren't that many places to offroad around, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing more if it were available. I'll be finishing school this may, and hopefully moving somewhere with at least better rivers, which would most likely mean more trails as well. Does this change any opinions?

I'm in the same boat man. I think I'll go with the 3.5 since mine is also my DD. Something else to think about is the bigger the tire, the more acceleration you lose. Bigger tires also throw off your gas milege, speedo, and wear out your steering, brakes and other components faster. I don't want to have to re-gear anytime soon so I want to stick to 31"'s. After buying my Jeep 3 weeks ago and only driving it, I replaced the starter on my Nissan HB (Lifted, MT's, and other mods) and WOW! That Nissan is a beast to drive and i can't believe the difference. I thought I would drive them both a lot but put the truck right back in the garage.

Yeah I've thought about the speedo being off and that is why I settled on the teraflex ess sye, because with this kit you can recalibrate the speedo at any oem service center, but I'm not sure you might be able to do that anyway. I didn't think about steering concerns though.

NRT_Chris said:
Have you looked at Currie? They make a good kit . Complete cost about 2400.00 Thats every thing Rancho RS 9000 Shocks. Johnny joint upper and lower control arms H.D stearing new Deaver leafs 4" coils u bolts 231 tail shaft kit 5" rear shakles. Im going to get this kit for my self

Now as a Currie employee that is near spamming and a bit of a no-no... For shame on you. ;)

Not only that, the Currie kit is WAYYYYY over priced and I'm saying that as a loyal Currie customer who lives blocks from the shop.

Go the RE 4.5" right out of the box. Good quality and a great price. Try Rawbrown.com, fullsizexjgear.com or DC4WD.com for smokin' deals. The only thing I might change are the rear springs and go with Nationals (or Deaver, but again... pricy). Or, save the money, use the stock springs and then go the RE drop brackets and braces to get the suspension working back in a factory like arrangement.

I would go with the 3.5" kit. You can always add a BB kit to it later if you want. But...I would also consider the RE 1660 HD trackbar kit instead of the RE1600. It's more beefy and with the drop bracket (which will make it easier to adjust) it will be stronger. I think the Tom Woods kit is the way to go as well. I like it and will be putting a TW front shaft in come the first of the year.

Dallas said:
Yeah I've thought about the speedo being off and that is why I settled on the teraflex ess sye, because with this kit you can recalibrate the speedo at any oem service center, but I'm not sure you might be able to do that anyway. I didn't think about steering concerns though.

Recalibrating the speedometer is done through a gear which connects to the transfer case (or transmission, I don't remember). Gears are available for every common tire size/gearing combination. It is not limited to the kit itself.

Not trying to spam.sorry he asked and i replyed. I dont think the kit is over priced Im buying one for my self.And befor you say it we dont get a big discount maybe 5%.Its a solid kit Johnny Joint control arms and all the other stuff i listed. I might work for currie but i was a "jeep guy first" I own three jeeps 2 xjs and 1 yj. I would like to know why you think the kit is over priced?
What does the fact that you live blocks from the shop have to do with anything?

NRT Chris- I think Currie makes good solid products but I also think it is way too much for the average 'I want a lift' guy. With all that stuff included it is pretty on the mark money wise but most guys that are looking into those parts are loaded with$$. I think it is too much for the average wheeler.

girlscout;you might be right,but i never think the All Show and No Go way of doing things is good. With that way of thinking we should tell him to get a procomp lift. It was just an idea. He could get everything he needs at one time. Im not trying to sound like a currie add . It just makes cents to buy a kit that was made to work together

Chris- I agree about the Show-N-Go. And I agree it is a good idea and also very practical to get all of your eggs from the same basket. This way if there is a problem you are dealing with only one vendor. But I do think it's alot of cabbage to chuck down at one time...especially for a first lift.

It is alot to drop at once. I dont know what he is looking to spend. You also dont have to buy it all at once.. You can just get what you need Like arms shocks and sprins

NRT_Chris said:
girlscout;you might be right,but i never think the All Show and No Go way of doing things is good. With that way of thinking we should tell him to get a procomp lift. It was just an idea. He could get everything he needs at one time. Im not trying to sound like a currie add . It just makes cents to buy a kit that was made to work together

I would hate to call Rubicon Express "show and no go", as there are far more RE lifts out there than Currie lifts and they seem to be working well.

Again, as a Currie customer (I have johnny joints, an axle or two, hd lca mounts etc) and someone who is local (to pick up parts in case of a shorting at time of shipping issue - fairly common for all vendors and someone who knows the people that build your stuff - T&J's and the Deaver family), I think that the lift is WAYYYY too much money for a basic lift.

Sure, you want a pretty solid 4" lift then it might be okay if you have money to burn, but even then it is missing key components like drop brackets to get the suspension geometery back in check, a double shear track bar and adjustable bumpstops for the rear; so it isn't a "complete" lift by any stretch nor are there any on the market.

As for you working for Currie, because you SELL for Currie it does make it pretty conflicting. I don't see Marty from Rock Lizard Fab recommending his bumpers, any of the guys from RE recommending lift parts (even though some are paying members), sales people from Goodyear recommending Goodyear rubber... you get the idea.

Now take it easy, Chris, and don't get your undies in a bunch your first day on the board.

Oh yeah buddy, spell check is your friend. ;)

I can see your going to be a problem...It not spamming if you are giving your opinion. I dont care who you know . And you forgot JKS. So because i work for the Curries I cant tell somebody in a forum what i think? adjustable bumpstops? I dont even use them on my class 3 xj. You must be the know it all of the group

Back