• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS causing sticky shifter?

rydesolow

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I just recently fixed my NSS, because it wasnt starting unless i threw her into neutral. And the reverse lights would only sometimes come on. So, I opened up the neutral switch sensor, and fixed the shattered lever inside. Then I fixed the cracked housing. When I was putting it back on, the threaded part of the outside where the shaft from the tranny goes through broke off, so I can't put that bolt back on. I got it up against the tranny, and put the other bolt in, and it's on there really well. Only problem is now, it wont start in any gear, and the shifter inside feels way tight to move it. It was loose before. Does the big bolt make a huge difference on anything? Does it keep it from working right? It still shifts from park to neutral and such, because I know when I was taking the NSS switch off my 35" tires started rolling on top of me and I had to scramble. (There was no warning how it disengages the tranny on the jeepin forum of how to clean it). So there's a warning to some people. Block up your tires, trust me. Anyway, any suggestions?

You've got the nut on too tight. I had to adjust mine after I serviced my NSS too. Just make sure to use the little dilly to keep the nut from backing off.

OH, ...Block the tires this time!:banghead: :laugh3:

crap i would adjust the nut but i broke off the threaded part on the outside where the big nut goes, with the lockwasher and such. or do you mean the small 12mm bolt? yea my nss has no big bolt anymore: ( was wonderin if i'd be ok without it:wierd:

rydesolow said:
crap i would adjust the nut but i broke off the threaded part on the outside where the big nut goes, with the lockwasher and such. or do you mean the small 12mm bolt? yea my nss has no big bolt anymore: ( was wonderin if i'd be ok without it:wierd:

Big nut, not small 12mm bolt. Sounds like you might be up a creek...sorry I souldn't help.

Back