• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission problem (2001 w/ auto)

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
the auto tranny in my 2001 is acting up. sporadically, when i'm driving along and it's time for the tranny to up-shift it heasitates (usually between 2 & 5 seconds) and acts like it can't. it seems that this typically when under heavy accelleration and usually happens when i'm going between 25 and 45 mph.

when this problem occurs, i can remody the situation by either down shifting and then shifting back up or by getting completely off of the gas and then getting back on in.

i just had the transmission fluid flushed and refilled like a month or two ago. i've noticed that this also seems to happen more frequently when it's hot out so i'm going to install a tranny cooler, but i fear a greater problem is in the works.

suggestions?
TIA.

yes, this was happening before the transmission fluid change.

for the first week following the fluid change it seemed like the problem worsened, now that the fluid change is a bit away it seems that the fluid change may have helped things a bit - but only a bit.

another symptom that i can only assume stems from the same problem is occasionally, when sitting at a stop light, the jeep starts idling really roughly - if i give it a touch of gas it smoothes out; also, if i shift the tranny into neutral the rough idle stops

i have a 2000 XJ with 63,000 on it that does the same thing. ive got a straight 6 and the AW4 transmission. a few times i've given it gas to try and make it shift, but it just bounces off of the rev limiter 2 or 3 times, then shifts into the next gear. about 4,000 miles ago, the dealer replaced the neutral safety switch under warranty, but maybe that was unrelated. i had extended warranty up till 60,000 miles, which just ran up a few months ago, but the dealer kept telling me that they never heard or felt anything out of the ordinary...
how many miles do you have on yours? do you tow? i just put a hitch on mine and started towing a small boat, but my trans was messing up way before that.
a cooler won't hurt.

I am gonna bet you guys that both of you have some sort of incorrect fluid in your trans. Most shops throw in ATF+2/+3 which isnt the correct fluid for the aw4. I would physically drain it yourselves and put in new mercon/dexron fluid. Drive it a few miles and then drain it again and refil.

I have seen many times where the aw4 acts funny just becuase of it having the wrong fluid.

pete`

I know there have been a lot of threads on this site about trans fluid and erratic transmission behavior.

While I can't say this will work (again there are pros and cons on the issue), but I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid since my first 1000 miles (2000 XJ). It now has 98,600 miles. It has seen 15 states and 3 provinces, tows on a regular basis a horse trailer (2 horses), 20' boat trailer, utility trailer, and some hefty wheelin. No problems.

I change fluid every 15,000 or sooner (depending on my wheelin habits).

While it might cost a few bucks, you might try the synthetic or the Mercrom/Dexxron as previously suggested. Fluid is cheap in comparison to the headaches.

dynamite44 said:
i have a 2000 XJ with 63,000 on it that does the same thing. ive got a straight 6 and the AW4 transmission. a few times i've given it gas to try and make it shift, but it just bounces off of the rev limiter 2 or 3 times, then shifts into the next gear. about 4,000 miles ago, the dealer replaced the neutral safety switch under warranty, but maybe that was unrelated. i had extended warranty up till 60,000 miles, which just ran up a few months ago, but the dealer kept telling me that they never heard or felt anything out of the ordinary...
how many miles do you have on yours? do you tow? i just put a hitch on mine and started towing a small boat, but my trans was messing up way before that.
a cooler won't hurt.

in a bit of a sick way, it's comforting to hear that the same problem is happening to someone else. i have about 75K miles and only rarely tow - when i do it's pretty light weight.

jeepsrock said:
I am gonna bet you guys that both of you have some sort of incorrect fluid in your trans. Most shops throw in ATF+2/+3 which isnt the correct fluid for the aw4. I would physically drain it yourselves and put in new mercon/dexron fluid. Drive it a few miles and then drain it again and refil.

i'll drop the fluid twice this weekend and see how things go. anyone know off hand how much fluid the aw4 should hold?

langer1 said:
Put a can of Seafoam Transcure in it.

i'll try this after the second trans fluid drop as suggested by jeepsrock.

thanks, everyone for chiming in on this. i'll check in again with my results after the weekend.

Jallen or Dynamite44,
How did things turn out? I'm having almost exactly the same problems that you guys did about a month after having the dealer flush the tranny. (97 4.0L, auto) Dealership says, "the fluid's all burnt up. Replace with rebuilt tranny $3800." :shocked:
Thought I'd try replacing the fluid a couple of times as suggested above first.

My '88 auto had a similar problem of erratic shifts but mine typicaly happened around 45 mph (give or take a few mph). It would even hunt between 2 gears while holding at 45mph. It also would not downshift consistently when I climbed a steep hill or try to pass on the freeway.

Turned out mine was a faulty TPS.

Those rascals!:flamemad:
The computer was throwing a code for the TPS, which they're going to replace. I'll go rescue the Ghost before they perform unnecessary surgery.
Thanks for the input Saudade!

Back