• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

header bliss

cjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
Well, when my 96 XJ wouldn't pass the visual smog inspection because of the cracked exhaust manifold, I really didn't have much choice other than to install a header (going with the "don't just replace, upgrade" philosophy). I bought the new header that Edelbrock came out with and stuck it in there about a week ago. I've heard people talk about the difference, but I don't think I ever realized how much better the performance would be with a header. Besides the sound, which I really like, I've been impressed with the throttle response. Even when I went to 4.56 gears, I was never able to spin my 33's off the line--until now. I love how this thing drives now. I haven't had much chance to see the difference in mileage, but I suspect that will be a little better too.

All this to add one more testimony to the pile in favor of the header being one of the best mods out there for motor performance.

How much is it? Do they offer one for the pre-ho motor?

It looks like most straight 6 headers. Longer, straighter primaries than a Banks, and its all polished up and shiney plated. :D

I imagine a large portion of the difference your feeling is probably because you no longer have a cracked manifold.

I believe they run 450 to 500+ depending on retailer and coating.

i got a Gibson header for around $350 or so. Nice metallic chrome finish, great sound, and improved power and gas mileage. It developed a crack a year after i put it on due to a design flaw, all i had to do was call the guys at Gibson, and they sent me a new one out right away. If you are looking for cool guys and a good warranty policy, I’d check them out.

Gibsonperformance.com

anyone ever try those cheapo 100$ headers??? no special coatings or anythying, simple designs and stainless steel you can find em on ebay and on some other site i dont remember.

how do those perform? anyone?

Would you be referencing Pacesetter? If so.... dont bother.

ricot83 said:
anyone ever try those cheapo 100$ headers??? no special coatings or anythying, simple designs and stainless steel you can find em on ebay and on some other site i dont remember.

how do those perform? anyone?

Those aren't headers. Rather replacement manifolds with flex joints built in........... :explosion

ArcticXJ said:
I believe they run 450 to 500+ depending on retailer and coating.

Qudratec:

91-99 Cherokee 4.0L Ti-Tech Coating - 349.95
91-99 Cherokee 4.0L Ceramic Coating - 389.95

So in my case, (same cracked manifold problem) this one just replaced Banks as my first choice.

91 Jeep Project said:
What the hell is Ti-Tech?
Now Available in 2 Finishes
TI-TECH™ OR CERAMIC COATING FOR LONG LASTING DURABLE PERFORMANCE
Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust Systems and Shorty Headers have always been some of the most cost-effective performance products on the market, but now, they're an even better value with the introduction of our new Ti-Tech coating. This high temperature/heat resistant coating features a C-105 titanium satin finish for heat stability to 1600° F. At higher temperatures the Ti-Tech coating will cure, becoming harder and more abrasion resistant, unlike organic coatings that chalk and lose adhesion with extreme heat. The Ti-Tech coating provides superior protection in corrosive environments and extends the useful life of Edelbrock exhaust components by years.
Ceramic coating is available on some Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust Systems. Ceramic coating is chemically bonded to the steel on the exterior, giving you the ultimate protection against corrosion and erosion. Check the Tubular Exhaust Systems.
All Edelbrock TES and Shorty Headers will be offered in your choice of either the Ti-Tech finish for just a few dollars more than old-fashioned painted finishes, or with our polished ceramic coating for the ultimate in looks and performance.

dothedew24_7 said:
Qudratec:

91-99 Cherokee 4.0L Ti-Tech Coating - 349.95
91-99 Cherokee 4.0L Ceramic Coating - 389.95

So in my case, (same cracked manifold problem) this one just replaced Banks as my first choice.
Wow, good prices. Those beat the hell out of the list price in the latest 4wd Mag "new parts" guide that came out this month.

Back