• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze12 where?

jblaze5779

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of "brick and mortar" stores that sell freeze 12 conversions kits?? I've seen then on ebay but figured someone locally might have them. I'm from Lubbock, Tx incase someone else here has any specific local info

I'd also like to know why no stores including the one I work at have ever heard of the product and if its because of some stupid California VOC emissions clean air laws. Customers that ask for it, I always counter with "do you remember where you last saw it?" and they usually say "oh, out on the east coast."

Are you asking about the R-12 to R-134 change over kits? The local autizim zone, advance, napa,and even carquest stock them around here, AND wally-world.

I recently recharged my '85 Toyota's A/C system with Freeze 12. I was able to buy the 12oz cans at Pep Boys but, they didn't sell anything to dispense them with (how dumb is that!) so, I bought a universal can tap from this online site: http://autorefrigerants.com/ but, later found it cheaper on Northern Tool's site:....... doh! http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200103724&R=200103724 with these can taps you can use regular R12 gauges eliminating the need for conversion fittings. Just remember that, since it is a blend, when dispensing Freeze 12 (applies to R134A, also) to make sure you put it in as a liquid. My A/C is just as cold as it was with R12. Just a suggestion add about 2oz of esther oil at the same time (that first site has 4oz cans = 2oz esther oil + 2oz of refrigerant). Oh, almost forgot it only takes 90% of a comparable R12 charge. Hope that helps.........Hans

That is news to me. So, I am guessing by the interest in this stuff, that DOES actually work. Maybe I should pay better attention next time I am at the parts house.

ren said:
That is news to me. So, I am guessing by the interest in this stuff, that DOES actually work. Maybe I should pay better attention next time I am at the parts house.
The main reason you don't see it is because it's not approved by the EPA, only 134 is. It's not banned or anything, it meets all the requirments of the clean air act but the maker can out contribute all the makers of r134.

the only thing that my walmarts sell around here is the r12 to 134 conversion kits. I haven't been able to find freeze 12 anywhere.

I have a 91 and it's finally gotten to the point where I've got to do something. If the jeep has been sitting out in the sun for any amount of time you can forget about cooling it to a comfortable level in any reasonable amount of time.

You'd think in TX they would have this stuff everywhere...

jblaze5779 said:
the only thing that my walmarts sell around here is the r12 to 134 conversion kits. I haven't been able to find freeze 12 anywhere.

I have a 91 and it's finally gotten to the point where I've got to do something. If the jeep has been sitting out in the sun for any amount of time you can forget about cooling it to a comfortable level in any reasonable amount of time.

You'd think in TX they would have this stuff everywhere...
Theres plenty for sale on eBay.

Oatmeal said:
conversion fittings. Just remember that, since it is a blend, when dispensing Freeze 12 (applies to R134A, also) to make sure you put it in as a liquid.

Does this mean that when I'm putting it in I should invert the can?

Lonesome Dove Distributing - distributor for automotive products
Authorized distributor for Johnsen's Freeze 12 and other refrigeration replacement parts and accessories. Full line of additives, brakes fluids, cleaners, and products. El Paso. TX.
Also look for Enviro-Safe same thing different maker.

jblaze5779 said:
Does this mean that when I'm putting it in I should invert the can?
Yes.......if you have the designated can tap. If you use a universal side tap (like I do) just hold the can so it'll flow to where the tap pierces the can.........Hans

Back