• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still Getting Warm a bit

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Recently i noticed that my jeeps temp decides to cross the half almost to the next white mark when i wait in traffic or i am idling trying to find parking..etc. I posted about this a while back and the response was that usually this is caused by a bad fan clutch. I had replaced it b4 that with a carquest one but purchased the mopar dealer one to make sure that wasnt the problem. Even though the dealer clutch is difenately better it still hasnt solved my problem completely. In the past years i have changed the water pump, radiator (gdi 3 row), thermostat and now the fan clutch and rad cap. Last month i chemically flushed the system and it was clean.The electric fan does come on and eventually it goes back to half but this all takes a while. When i am driving even at relative slow speeds my temps are good ? ??

What can be causing this problem ?
I have no idea as i have almost changed everything.

Pete

Have you tried cleaning the rad. fins from the BACK side, so that any debris will go out the way that it came in? Also, have you checked to see if there is a blockage between the rad. and the A/C condensor? What about the fan shroud?

Well, hopefully, a debris flush will give good results then.

jeepsrock said:

It sounds a lot like how my 2000 has behaved since new. They run hot. The middle of the gauge is like 210 degrees, and the electric fan won't even turn on until near 230, IIRC.

Den

Well i am gonna pick up a new thermostat and clean out the rad in the next few days, as for the thermostat i should pick up a 195F in what brand ? THe delear one or high performance stant one ?

pete

Is the serpentine correctly adjusted, tight enough?
Once the XJ starts moving, the airflow through the radiator should be enough to cool it and according to what you say it does.

If it's not cooling properly at idle, you need to check the fan clutch, fan, obstructions in front of the radiator like others have mentioned.
I doubt it's the thermostat if at speeds higher than idle the temperature drops.
At idle do you feel the fan blowing air back toward the engine?
You should notice a change once it gets to about 200F. At 150 or so you won't feel much air, but once the temp hits near 200F the clutch kicks in and you should hear and feel more air being blown back.

What is the condition of the fan itself? Anything broken?
What year XJ do you have?

MAP

This is a 94 cherokee I6, nothing broken that i know of.
The serpentine belt has been adjusted using the napa kricket device and is pretty tght.
The fan clutch is brand new from the dealer. I originally had a Carquest one which was horrible and replaced by this one. I have been trying to chase this problem for a yr+ now.
Other than the ac condenser and B&m tranny cooler (cooler is right in the middle) their is nothing in front of it . The plastic shroud is in good shape.

A observation i noticed today was that on cold start up the temp reaches a bit after the middle before it suddenly drops, which i think is due to the stat opening maybe late or maybe this is normal.

???
Pete

My 92 is/was doing the same thing. I had the radiator and various parts of the engine checked using a laser thermometer. The temp gauge was off around 15-20 degrees. If you can, have someone use the laser thermometer and check the whole radiator.

chris

My 91 is suddenly reading above normal. Started about 3 months ago. Sits at 220-230 no matter what speed (even at idle). The infrared however reads 195 on the t-stat housing and lower on the rad and hoses. The temp sensor is brand new. I put the old one back in and it reads the same so it's not the sensor.

If its the gauge how do you adjust or fix it?

Mestopin said:
My 91 is suddenly reading above normal. Started about 3 months ago. Sits at 220-230 no matter what speed (even at idle). The infrared however reads 195 on the t-stat housing and lower on the rad and hoses. The temp sensor is brand new. I put the old one back in and it reads the same so it's not the sensor.

If its the gauge how do you adjust or fix it?
Replace the gauge!

Ok...

Do they make an aftermarket OEM replacement? Or do you suggest going to the dealer?

How difficult is changing the gauge?

Today i drove to the dealer to pick up a thermostat and temp sender unit. On the way there everything was fine but as i entered the parking lot and started to look for parking the temp creeped to the white line b4 the red. I could here the elctric fan on.

I am still confused on what this could be. Anyway on the thermostat i install the hole up and the spring part in the engine side right ? As far as the gasket with the preapplied rtv on one side whihc side goes where ?

I hope this help a bit
Thanks
Pete

The more I read this the more it seems like your water pump is the problem. These symptoms seem like those of a bad impeller on the pump.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not familiar with the serpentinve belt routing for the 4.0L of your year, but is it possible on your cherokee that the serpentine belt may have been routed incorrectly such that the fan or water pump might be turning in the wrong direction?
The bulb/spring side of the thermostat should sit toward the engine. The little hole on the thermostat should be at the 12 o'clock position.

MAP

All advice is good advice.

I will check the belt directions tom.
As for the water pump the original one was leaking thru the weep hole about 6 months ago and i replaced it with a new ASC unit, so i dont think thats the prob.

I just got back from a friends house and the same thing happened while i was parking.

pete

Today i called local rad shops to find a all metal modine 2 row to replace my gdi 3 row. I figure thats pretty much the only thing in my cooling loop that i really dont trust. I found a shop and picked it up for 150$.

I installed it with a new mopar thermostat and new mopar gauge sender. I havnt driven it yet, but my hopes are high. The new modine rad had a stamp on it saying made in the usa 2802.

I will keep you guys updated...ohh and the belt routing is fine.
Pete

Well for those of you interested it seems that the modine rad has vastly improved my situation. When i drove the jeep today the temp fluctuates from the middle to 190. When i arrive at traffic it rises above the half mark by a small hairline if i am there for a few mins or more. As of now i am satisfied and happy to have gotten rid of that GDI rad.

The next issue is that after driving it today i opened the hood to check for leaks or anything and it seems that the upper tranny line is leaking a very small bit. Do you guys suggest i use teflon ? Another thing is i noticed a few droplets of liquid on my airbox, i guess i can be paranoid but i will watch it.

Pete

Back