• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guage Question

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can I replace my dummy lights with the actual OEM guages by simply swaping them out or is there more to it?

96 SE 4.0 AW4 231

I think on 96's you need to replace the oil pressure sender and the temp sender but not sure about the temp sender, on 97+'s it is a straight swap. I used one out of a 97TJ on my 98XJ.

Change your oil pressure sender for the gauge type, and make sure that your new panel has the SAME style speedo hook-up. I can not remember exactly what model year it changed, but some time in the mid-90's, Jeep started using an electrical speedo instead of the old cable style. Other than that, it is pretty much straight forward.

Okay, that's cool. Thought maybe you were doing a complete swap.

KY-XJ said:
I am looking a buying just the guages (except speedo and tach) and replacing the dummy light guages.
Don,t think that will work.
If you have a tach in the factory guage set then you should have all the guages.
If only a speedo and large gas guage then the rest are lights,and you need to get the whole guage cluster plus the senders for the oil pressure and temp guages.Light senders and guage senders are different.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Don,t think that will work.
If you have a tach in the factory guage set then you should have all the guages.
If only a speedo and large gas guage then the rest are lights,and you need to get the whole guage cluster plus the senders for the oil pressure and temp guages.Light senders and guage senders are different.
Wayne

I was wrong. It is a large gas gauge.

If I get the whole cluster with the tach, will it hook up to the smaller gas gauge or not? And if I did just buy the guages, all I would have to do is swap out senders, right? Or would I have to change out the wiring to the "new" gauge as well?

Thanks for all the info.

Jason

All of the wiring is already in place, just plug in the new panel, and change your oil pressure sender for the gauge style, and call it done.

KY-XJ said:
I am looking a buying just the guages (except speedo and tach) and replacing the dummy light guages.

I wouldn't even bother with seperate ones . The factory full gauge cluster unit swap is so plug and play it ain't even funny. For the sake of argument, I got one that had the same milage - about 1k. Took awhile but I found one.

After recieving it in the mail, I cleaned the contacts with alcolhol, and tightened the screws and checked the bulbs (since people complained of bad connections after getting the used panel) Also, Jeep was stingy enough to not include all the bulbs that go on the left side of the panel. So my new cluster was from a 2wd w/ say...ABS so I had to take the ABS light out and put it on the socket for 4wd PART TIME. Oh, take that stupid upshift light out.

The cluster comes out easily, if youve ever taken the dash bezel out (my stereo been stolen). If I remember you take off the covers to the steering column (3 torx screws) the tilt lever and a plug in there that has a bolt and you then unscrew and pop out the bezel. I did have to loosen some other dash components (like the heat/ac panel). All in all, it was easy and greatly improved driving the jeep. The full gauge panel is better designed, it has more asthetic lettering and numbering that isin't so easily blocked by the wheel due to its position, not to mention the gauges.

Anyway there are tonnes of write ups if you search.

The oil and temp sending units are also easy, I can give you napa part numbers if you wish.

Yes, both the oil and temp senders need to be replaced. I did it on my 96 when i had it. 96 is a tough year to take the dash apart though, you have to take the pieces off from around the steering column, then the big piece across the dash and around the stereo is a very tight fit around all the crap for the air bag.

Very easy swap though, just do the entire cluster in one piece, easy as that.

bajacalal said:
The oil and temp sending units are also easy, I can give you napa part numbers if you wish.

Yes, the Napa part nos. would be great.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do the whole cluster swap.

Ok, the oil pres. is OP6695 for this year. The export models apparently use OP6694 and we had 2 of these (WTF?) in stock today. OP6693 is the one for I-lights so don't get it. The temp sender is TS6685 there was no listing for the 96 year for some reason but this is the part I used when I did the swap and I (kinda) have the same year. It worked fine and I used the 95 year to look it up. Those are ECHLIN parts numbers btw.

Also, the gauge panels you need to look for are the 91 or 92 (don't remember) up to 96. Either way, the older ones have a cable not electric speedo and blue not white plastic so the difference is very obvious.

KY-XJ said:
No you're not. You only think you are. The printed circuit on the back of the cluster won't allow you to do that. And the price of individual gauges is through the roof. You can't buy one gauge from a junkyard, because then they can't sell the cluster. So just buy a complete cluster and swap it in.

What about milage? Are you pretty much stuck with the milage indicated on the new guage? I have a 93 xj and i want to do the same.

I recently changed out my '96 "idiot lights" to a gauge full set. I tried to set the mileage numbers on the "new" speedo to match the original. I got the numbers changed but messed up the speedo "motor" so it didn't work correctly. Be carefull or you too might be using the original speedo again just like me, it swaps right in but the color is a bit off. But; now I know what I need to know!

I just swapped out my idiot cluster for a full gauge cluster on my 98. Couldn't find anyone who would set back the electronic odometer cheaply. So I'm just gonna have to live with the extra 20K miles. I keep it on the trip meter so I don't have to look at the higher mileage. :)

Back