• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greasing AdjustableControl Arms Joints

Thayer

NAXJA Member #1255
Greasing Adjustable Control Arms Joints

My adjustable control arms came with joints that have grease fittings, but when I try to inject grease in them, it just squirts out around the grease gun nozzle. The grease fittings look a little smaller than all the other ones on my XJ, but it does fit and hold in the grease gun nozzle. The grease fitting has no ball check and the threads are 10-32, smaller than the normal ones so I can't just swap them out. Does anybody know how I grease these?

grease.jpg

Last edited:
Thayer said:
My adjustable control arms came with joints that have grease fittings, but when I try to inject grease in them, it just squirts out around the grease gun nozzle. The grease fittings look a little smaller than all the other ones on my XJ, but it does fit and hold in the grease gun nozzle. The grease fitting has no ball check and the threads are 10-32, smaller than the normal ones so I can't just swap them out. Does anybody know how I grease these?

grease.jpg
Use one of those needle like grease tips and press into the hole and grease. Also it looks like you've got paint over the grease fitting: are you sure that you didn't paint it shut?

Can't help you on getting the grease into the joint :dunce: , but I do suggest that you find a plug that will screw up into the zerk hole.
One rub across a rock and you'll be wishing you had.

I'll try using the needle injector. Good point ripping off the grease fitting off on a rock. Maybe I'll just take them off once I get them greased up.

I would switch to the Hi-Pressure style fittings that use the needle, that way you can still grease the joints and no have to worry about snapping off any zerk fittings. By the way, do not use mineral grease on poly bushings, the mineral grease will break the poly down alot faster than normal wear and tear will. Use a good SYNTHETIC grease (actually it doesn't hurt to use synth. grease on all your joints, steering and D/S included- MUCH better water and break down resistance. I use marine grease, personally, on all of my stuff).

Good point about plugging the grease hole. I guess I could just use a 10-32 screw that has a small head, but I guess finding a low profile needle injector grease fitting would be ideal. Does anybody know a good source for grease fittings with 10-32 threads? I've been looking around for them off and on and have yet to run across them online or in a store.

Do you have any "industrial" support buisness's in your area like a gararge that works on heavy equip. like semi-trucks, dozers, buses? You can also try farm supply stores.

I've exhausted almost all my local places. I started to give up on local places when I couldn't even find them online. I can barely find any mention of them online. All I see are these:

I see that RockKrawler probably gets these weird fittings from Alemite http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=fittings_specialthread, but not even they offer a 10-32 threaded fitting in any other style.

This talks about exactly what I need, but I can't seem to find the Federal Mogul part no. 620 selling anywhere:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Federal_Mogul_Driveline_FAQ.pdf

Just checked, they don't have it either since Alemite also supplies them. Thanks for the suggestions though. I think my only source is to track down that Federal Mogul part no. 620 mentioned in that PDF on Pirate 4X4.

I just roll mine to the top-side.

Can you grease them without disconnecting the control arms if the grease point is on top?

In any case, I tracked down the weird grease fittings mentioned in the Federal Mogul PDF on Pirate. I called them and they told me to order them through Napa. I went to Napa and the guy took 15 mins to find them on the computer, but then when he did, he said they actually had them in stock. Holy cow! I bought their only box for $17. You get 10 fittings per box.

Thayer said:
Can you grease them without disconnecting the control arms if the grease point is on top?

In any case, I tracked down the weird grease fittings mentioned in the Federal Mogul PDF on Pirate. I called them and they told me to order them through Napa. I went to Napa and the guy took 15 mins to find them on the computer, but then when he did, he said they actually had them in stock. Holy cow! I bought their only box for $17. You get 10 fittings per box.

Whats the part number or hoe do you order them

Post #14 says Federal Mogul Part # 460. When I called Federall Mogul, they said any distributor can order them for you. Napa Auto Parts is the closest distributor by me and I lucked out because they actually had 1 box in stock.

Back