• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case seal leaking

Jeffro600

NAXJA Forum User
I was getting a leak from the rear driveshaft output in my 231 transfer case a week ago so i replaced the rear output seal on the transfer case only to find out that it still leaks like crazy. After doing a little research it turns out, that seal you see on the outside is only ment to keep dirt and other junk out...theres also a bushing on the rear output shaft of the transfer case that needs replacing. I went to the dealership and they looked at me like i was on drugs and said that the one i replaced is all that was there...does anyone have a part number, a diagram, or even somewhere else i might be able to pick one of these up??

what year XJ

or if you have swaped t-cases -

what year t-case?

93, 4.0, 5 speed

Stock 231 J transfer case

And no, i dont have a SYE....yet. Its on my list of to-dos, but there are other priorities first...like at least getting it to go down the road without leaking all the ATF fluid out!!

I actually just got finished taking it all apart and the bushing on the extension housing does defiently look worn. The input of the slip yolk shaft looks to be in good shape and doesnt have any score marks or any other serious signs of wear so im going to assume the bushing is the cause of the leak. Maybe ill try a specialty 4wheel drive store instead of the dealership tomarrow.

Jeffro600 said:
93, 4.0, 5 speed

Stock 231 J transfer case

And no, i dont have a SYE....yet. Its on my list of to-dos, but there are other priorities first...like at least getting it to go down the road without leaking all the ATF fluid out!!

An SYE would solve that problem as well.

Sorry that didn't help did it?

Like i said before...it will get done...just not right now. This is a VERY tight budget build and shelling out another 200 bucks plus the cost of the driveshaft is just another dent in my "XJ" account. As long as it will get me down the trail without slinging ATF all over my underside, ill be happy.

I've got the newer style so someone correct me if I'm misleading you, but ..

There is a metal "slinger" that protects the rear seal. It's not necessary and doesn't make an airtight seal. Behind the slinger is the seal - it has a metal shell with a rubber inner gasket that makes contact with the shaft. There is a spring at the inner portion to hold it tight against the shaft.

I thought my 231 was leaking at the speed sensor, because the o-ring was bad (that is someplace else for you to check), so I patched that up and drove all the way to new york..

As it turns out, the rear seal must be lubed before it is installed over the shaft. Otherwise the rubber will tear, allowing the spring to come loose and all the fluid to come out. This may not be easily visible while installed.

After being gouged for $30 by a dealer for the seal (fortunately, this one CAME lubed, or I still wouldn't have figured out what I did wrong with the last one)I drove back home and I still have a full TC.

Jeffro600 said:
I was getting a leak from the rear driveshaft output in my 231 transfer case a week ago so i replaced the rear output seal on the transfer case only to find out that it still leaks like crazy. After doing a little research it turns out, that seal you see on the outside is only ment to keep dirt and other junk out...theres also a bushing on the rear output shaft of the transfer case that needs replacing. I went to the dealership and they looked at me like i was on drugs and said that the one i replaced is all that was there...does anyone have a part number, a diagram, or even somewhere else i might be able to pick one of these up??

So what fixed your leak? my 93 231 is leaking out the rear seal too. I replaced it and it is still leaking too. i didn't put much lube on the shaft though. please let me know what you did to fix it.

john

so I'm having a similar problem on the front output shaft seal. I solved the problem, but now I'm trying to replace the seal without taking the xfer case apart. I've done it to install the sye but I'm in no mood to do that big job again. Anyway, I can't get my seal out...Any ideas?

I tried prying with a screwdriver and that didn't work. SHould i go to a seal removal tool--thinking it works about as good as a screwdriver?@!

does anyone have one that doesn't leak?

I had the same problem on my XJ. I went through 3 seals before it stoped leaking. Take a real good look at the yoke. Make sure it does not have any deep dings or scratches on it. If it does take some very very fine sand paper and clean it up but not too much or you will need a new yoke. Then make sure u grease the yoke before you re-install it. I think i made that mistake the first time and the seal only lasted a week.

If u are confused with the install just follow this:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTCseal.htm

Back