• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing compound for tree branch scratches?

pyrotech

NAXJA Forum User
I have a red '01 that's got a couple of recent gouges in the paint from sliding along exposed tree branches. They're deeper than typical Arizona pinstripe...I don't think they're deep enough to cause rusting, but it's definitely through the clear coat and bad enough that the lines look white instead of red. Can anyone recommend a rubbing or polishing compound (or combination of compounds) and/or technique that I can work with to do some damage control? It's my DD, not just a trail rig -- I'd rather keep it looking decent if I can. Thanks...

If you've got white showing, you'll want to get some touch-up paint, rather than just rubbing it out.

Use some touch-up fill paint (you shouldn't be too faded yet...) then feather the fill with some 800 grit wet paper. Clearcoat after the feather.

If you still had colour, I'd suggest using some polishing compound (rubbing compound is for removing material, polishing compound is for smoothing.

The wet-sanding should help keep the fine paper from cutting too deep, and will allow for a smoother finish (it's the same way that clear plastics are polished, but clear plasting polishing is done with MUCH finer paper!)

5-90

If it's a Jeep, scratches give it character, if it's a mall crawler, well contact the H2, H3 crowd. They'll know what to do. I think they have a therapy group for hummer carnage, you know fingerprints on chrome, water spots on the windows. Oh and don't forget the unspoken group that have been rescued by dare I say it? Jeeps! If it's got scratches it proves it's a Jeep, wear them with pride!

draganof said:
If it's a Jeep, scratches give it character, if it's a mall crawler, well contact the H2, H3 crowd. They'll know what to do. I think they have a therapy group for hummer carnage, you know fingerprints on chrome, water spots on the windows. Oh and don't forget the unspoken group that have been rescued by dare I say it? Jeeps! If it's got scratches it proves it's a Jeep, wear them with pride!

very helpful post there...
not all jeeps are beaters...

ive had good luck and amazed myself with a simple coat of wax - if you arent looking to actualy buff and touch up -
Even on some of my deeper scratches - i was very happy with the way that wax made them all but impossible to find by anyone but me...

Some clear coat scratches do end up with a white appearance. We had good luck on the Rubi doing some wet sanding with 1500 grit (soak the paper in water with a couple drops of dish soap for 30 minutes before using...and keep the paint wet while sanding), and then finishing with 3M 1500 compound using a foam-pad buffer. Further bling can be attained with 3M's Glaze and then a coat of wax. Heck the 'damaged' spot my end up looking better than the rest of the body..... ;)

I used Indiana mud.

HTH

Carnage.JPG

I wouldnt recommend wet sanding. I'd try rubbing compound first. 3M makes a good fine rubbing compound in a small bottle - ive seen them at the parts stores. Get that and a terry cloth, towel or whatever and go at the straches. Keep working it until it gets out.

Back