• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New coils now everything is off

DPC

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to my XJ. Last weekend I installed 3" coils on the front and had a hard time getting the axle to line up again. Now that it is all together the axle is still off center(towards the drivers side) and the sway bar is hitting the left coil but is away from the right about an inch or so. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

You need an adjustable trac-bar... this is the rod that locates the front axle laterally, which swings in an arc as the suspension cycles vertically. Since you've moved the axle away from the chassis with your lift springs, it has pulled the axle closer to the driver side of the vehicle. An adjustable trac-bar allows you to change the length of said component to compensate for the lateral shift, thereby correcting your situation. They are available from many manufacturers, including but not limited to Rusty's and Rubicon Express.

You will also need an alignment after this is done, as the steering linkage is designed to travel through the same arc. When you adjust the length of the trac-bar, you will need to do the same to the steering.

Enjoy!

thankyou. I thought so. I am new to 4x4 susp. but it seems straght forward. I just wanted a second opinion.
Also, is there anything else I should get for the XJ with the common spring lift? I am not just going to get in over my head. I will get a better lift when I am ready.

Thanks for all you can add.

You might consider extended brake lines, and sway bar disconnects if you don't already have them.

At 3" you could also just redrill the trackbar and move it over to the drivers side a little (doesn't take much). An adjustable one is best, but if money's tight, there is nothing wrong with redrilling. Brake lines are more important.

Marcus

Back