• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i found a wrecked KJ, WHAT PARTS of rear disc brakes needed?

540ismiley

NAXJA Forum User
I found a wrecked KJ, what parts of the braking system do I need to convert my XJ to rear disc brakes, other than calipers, carriers and backingplates? What otherparts are useful? thanks

Grab all the hoses and e-brake parts. You may or may not end up using them. But at least you'll have them on hand.

Why not take the whole rear end?

Are they any good?

Ratio? A friend of mine has one with 4.10's

the engine/tran/harness it its the diesel :clap:

Get the studs that hold the backing plate/caliper mount onto the axle, the ones on your drummed axle are too short....also grab the wheel studs, same deal, get all the hard and soft lines....not sure hoe the soft line is mounted to the axle on a KJ but you could probably make it work for your jeep....

Grab the whole rear, it's and 8.25 29spline, same as the newer XJ's. Not sure about the spring mounts though and whether they have to be modified any. Otherwise it should bolt right in.

Libo's have rear coils, not leaves. I would, on the other hand, grab the whole axle, just to have the shafts, all the brake parts, and maybe even a spare carrier to weld up :rof:

MIke

MDMIKE said:
Libo's have rear coils, not leaves. I would, on the other hand, grab the whole axle, just to have the shafts, all the brake parts, and maybe even a spare carrier to weld up :rof:

MIke

Yea, was not sure about that, have not looked under one for a few years even though I drove a couple around at camp jeep. Coulda sworn that when they first came out there were leaves back there and they had drum brakes too, that was the first and last time I looked.

It's always been a coil-sprung rear end although this pic from a 2001 Camp Jeep/Jeep 101 shows drums...I just checked and at least the '02 Libbys had drums in the rear. I don't know if/when they changed that.
kj_rear.jpg

Libbys always had coils out back, some have drums, some discs, depends on what year and package...

As for the proportioning valve....if you have ABS on your cherokee, your current proportioniong valve will work fine....just make sure if you had ABS to disconenct it all....if you do not have ABS, get a prop. valve from that KJ or a ZJ w/ 4 wheel discs, you will have to mess with the mounting bracket to get it to fit....I have my old one if you need one (I replaced it not knowing my old one would work) but the bracket is a bit mangled...

I guess i am going back to the junk yard. The passenger side backing plate znd rotor were ok. But the driver side brake line, rotor and backing plate were smashed pretty good. E brake stuff was toast too.

So I need:
driver side backing plate $108 from jeep :wierd: and rotor
driver side brake lines(think i will change to stainless steel while I am at it)
Not too sure about the ebrake stuff
New brake pads for front and rear.

Back