• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snap Snap Snap there go the flare bolts

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I took the rear flares off my 90 today to Herculine my rockers. Of course all of the bolts broke except the very front and very back ones(that go vertically into the fender). I have the replacement hardware. My only question is the metal strip inside the flare that the studs were on before is in 3 or 4 pieces on both sides-too rusty to reuse. Can I just bolt the flare straight to the fender, as long as I don't overtighten enough to crack the flare?
Thanks guys
Collin

If you are going to bolt directly, at least use the largest fender washer that will fit.

CollinM said:
So I took the rear flares off my 90 today to Herculine my rockers. Of course all of the bolts broke except the very front and very back ones(that go vertically into the fender). I have the replacement hardware. My only question is the metal strip inside the flare that the studs were on before is in 3 or 4 pieces on both sides-too rusty to reuse. Can I just bolt the flare straight to the fender, as long as I don't overtighten enough to crack the flare?
Thanks guys
Collin
I'm not sure I understand your question. The flare retainers are manufactured in three sections. Are you thinking that it was one piece that rusted into three? It's unusual for them to get so rusty that that can't be reused. I just "remanufactured" a full set that had snapped off studs, by drilling through the heads of the old studs, tapping the holes, putting in new machine screws from the back and tack welding them in place.

The originals were 5mm studs. My new ones are 6mm -- better than new.

I just took some sheet metal and cut and bent it to the same shape as the OEM hardware but after doing three wheels my hands were killing me (sore,blistered) so I came up with something else that has worked out well.

I went to the hardware store and got seven "speed nuts" one for each hole on the flare, I slid one over each hole and secured it with stainless bolts/washers, worked out real well and was way cheaper that new flare hardware.

Eagle said:
The flare retainers are manufactured in three sections. Are you thinking that it was one piece that rusted into three?

Yeah that was what I was thinking it makes things a lot clearer now that I know that they came in 3 pieces.Thanks.And to everyone else thanks for the suggestions I'll be putting them back on tomorrow, let you guys know how it goes.
Later,
Collin

WobblesXJ said:
Zipties! forget the bolts.
actually tried that. the flare does not press against the body and leaves an ugly crack. looks like it's readsy to fall off.

You're gonna' hafta' invest in a new set of retainers. 4Wheel Drive has them in their catalogue for about 80 bucks. Yes, it's a lot of money for twelve pieces of thin galvanized sheet, but they'll save a lot of hassle. I believe they just came on the market in the last year or so. Were killer expensive from a dealer.

80 bucks for all 12... my stealership wanted over that for 6. plus galvanized might be worth looking into...

I just posted, on the other thread about this same topic, the 4Wheel Drive Hardware part number. They are Crown items, and are probably what the dealer sells. We are installing new flares on my son's '95, and if you bite for the flares and brackets, you can save twenty bucks. We keep a spare set on hand, as I am repairing some 'rash' on my'92, and now I can pull a flare, and know I can get it back on.

I bootyfabbed the rear flares on my MJ, after I found out how much those retainers cost:shiver: I used those strap-thingies with the holes punched in them (can't remember what they're called offhand). They're in the hardware section, right by the all-thread rods @ Lowe's.

Had to cut them to length, and surprisingly the holes lined up perfectly. Used some stainless hardware to create new "studs" and bolted it all up. They sit nice and flush with the bedside, too.

Jeff

heyhar said:
We are installing new flares on my son's '95, and if you bite for the flares and brackets, you can save twenty bucks.

While on the subject of flares... anyone know what a set of the pebble-grain unpainted flares for a 97+ would cost? (mine's a 2-door... but...)

My painted flares on the '00 Sport have just been chewed to heck and back by Pennsylvania's nasty habit of "gravel and salt" in the wintertime. The factory paint lasted about three years until I couldn't stand it any more (almost completely blasted off the bottom corners), and my repaints have lasted a year at a time.

Den

Back