• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone got some good tips for mirror mounting

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
I can't get the darn rearview mount to stay stuck. I've spent $20.00 on mounting kits. I tried two Lock-Tight kits and two kits from Permatex and they all fell of after a couple of days. The last kit was call Permatex Professional, it lasted one day. I bought a new button, I cleaned the glass with a razor blade, and the button with the stuff in the kit. I mount the button and let it set overnight, but still no luck.

Most likely a film/wax on the windshield. A good rub with MEK should clean it. Is the adhesive staying on the glass or is it staying on the mirror. That will tell you where the problem is.

old_man said:
Most likely a film/wax on the windshield. A good rub with MEK should clean it. Is the adhesive staying on the glass or is it staying on the mirror. That will tell you where the problem is.

Some times it's on the button and some times the glass.
This last time was with a new button and it was sanded with some course sandpaper that came with the kit but the glue came off the button.

From experience, clean BOTH the button and window and don't touch the side of the button that needs to stick, gets body oils in it, I use isop alcohol myself. Then I stick the button on and leave it for 6 hours or a day to cure before I even try to hang the mirror on it.

RichP said:
From experience, clean BOTH the button and window and don't touch the side of the button that needs to stick, gets body oils in it, I use isop alcohol myself. Then I stick the button on and leave it for 6 hours or a day to cure before I even try to hang the mirror on it.
Thanks that's what I just got done doing, Now I will let it sit untill tomorrow.

atx xj said:
ive thought about making a drop mount from the headliner myself.....cuz i never have luck with gettin it to stay stuck
I think thats what I'm going to do out of some aluminum flat stock.
I tee shaped bracket, the drill and tap a button to it. :sunshine:
$31.00.
91051210_L.jpg

Last edited:
I am using the mirror out of a TOYOTA truck ( it was free, {shrug}). It even came with a dome light that can be turned off using the built-in switch. I had to drill 2 small holes up by the windshield in the piece of metal that runs from side to side in the cab. The holes are about 4 inches back from the edge of the windshield opening.

Back