• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i got a 9"

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up a 9" i have no clue what its out of, or whats in it, havnt looked yet, its set up for coil springs, drum brakes, 5x4.5, how much do you thing its worth, is it worth swapping out the 44 i just put in? and can i get 6x5.5 shafts for it?

tealcherokee said:
i just picked up a 9" i have no clue what its out of, or whats in it, havnt looked yet, its set up for coil springs, drum brakes, 5x4.5, how much do you thing its worth, is it worth swapping out the 44 i just put in? and can i get 6x5.5 shafts for it?
if its set up for coils...

and it is a rear end axle...

and you already have a d44 then stick with the d44 unless you are breaking it...

The 9" will either have 31 or 28 spline shafts (most likely) [31 being much stronger] and yes 6 on 5.5 shafts are availavbe from custom axle builders.

what is the 9" out of? an Nasscar unit?

It sounds like a 28 spline out of a passenger car.

sounds like it came out of a Lincoln Versailles ( medium size lincoln), prob from around '78-85. Should have disc brakes on it. VERY hot item with the hot rod crowd. It might have also come from a Ford Granada, since it is the same chassis, esp. with drums on it ( yeah, I know, read the post).

I paid $50 for what you describe and all I use was the housing. My 9'' came from a 1972 Ford Terino. If I recall correctly the width was 64'' from wms to wms.

I spent about $2000 on it to get the way I wanted it. That price did include the price of labor :bawl: and all new parts to set up 35 spline shafts. I installed it myself so I saved some $ there.

yes, its a rear w/ coils

i guess i stick w/ the 44, i havent even wheeled it yet, its spooled, 35" boggers, should hold up....

tealcherokee said:
28 spline, stupid high gears

is this stronger or weaker than a 44 stock for stock

ring gear and pinion are stronger

everything else is weaker...

if you are looking to spend a lot of coin - price these out:

new carrier - 31 or 35 spline
new gears
new axle shafts (same spines to match carrier)
new spring perches / shock mounts

probably new brake components

probably want a new centersection - with gears and the locker of your choice...

this is a pretty good description of the ford 9" in all its glory...

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

I would take it apart, sandblast the case and the housing, prime and paint it, then Ebay it to the hotrodder crowd.

XJ_ranger said:
probably want a new centersection - with gears and the locker of your choice...

And don't forget to specify a nodular 3rd member. The factory cast (or forged?) units are prone to exploding spectacularly when 'wheeld hard.

More%20Broken%20Ford%20Parts.jpg

afd516 said:
What is the story bedind this carnage?

A neutral drop on the rocks or what, damn! :thumbup:

Hardly. I was on some rock ledges at Ft. Hood, and got the backend hopping a little--but not to near the degree you would expect looking at the damage. All of us that witnessed the whole thing were mighty surprised at what had happened.

Maybe the 3rd member actually hit a rock.... or perhaps it had been hit on something previously and was cracked or something... But I was the 2nd person in our "gang" to have it happen within a few month's time. We both replaced the damaged 3rd members with nodular ones and haven't seen the problem since--despite significant engine and tire size upgrades since. They are spendy, but worth it if you plan to wheel a 9" very hard.

I have a Strange nodular third member. I have it in with 35 spline axles and 36'' tsls straped to it but have not had the chance to wheel it hard yet.

I will put it to the test this weekend for the first time. I have no doubt that it will hold up though.

afd516 said:
I have a Strange nodular third member. I have it in with 35 spline axles and 36'' tsls straped to it but have not had the chance to wheel it hard yet.

I will put it to the test this weekend for the first time. I have no doubt that it will hold up though.

I'm sure it will too. That carnage occurred years ago with an AMC 304 and 35" Swampers. Since the nodular 3rd member was installed, the engine has been replaced with an Olds big block and tires with 38.5" Swampers. The axle had held up just fine.

hadfield4wd said:
How can you tell the difference between the Nodular and regular. Is it the "N" on the third member?

Matt

Yes, it is. From insideracing.com:

Ford had Variety to this system with the earliest being the “N” case and the “WAR” case.

The WAR or standard case is a system that most racers will stay away from because there is a noted flaw in the casting of this unit. These units were produced from gray cast iron which has a grain structure that does not offer the best shear strength characteristics. Most of the standard cases were utilized from 1957 to 1967 and had a moderate failure rate.

The “N” case marking stands for Nodular iron. Gray iron and nodular iron both start out with the introduction of carbon, silicon, and other additives into the molten iron. The difference comes when a foundry adds magnesium to this recipe and forms the basis of nodular iron. What this process does is change the flakes of gray iron into nodules thus we begin to see a product that is less likely to fail under shear load.

The “N” case began to see its way under such powers as the 64, 65, 427 Ford Galaxies and later being employed with those high powered 428CJ and 429CJ cars. The “N” case offered 31 spline centers which were heavy duty as compared to most 28 spline systems of the day. This unit is desired by most when it comes to heavy duty performance.

In the modern day the carrier housing that you will most likely see is the C7AW-E. Most refer to this system as the “E” series. This unit is found under later model vehicles after Ford stopped producing muscle cars in the 70's.

Back