• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pros and con's to the NP242 transfercase

Nick_n_ii

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some input on my transfercase. This is my first Jeep and unsure about which transfer case is better. The XJ will when done have 3" lift Rusty cut-outs and be used for mild wheeling with the Family. Spring will be the addition of a YJ. So transfercase input is helpfull...

Nothing wrong with the 242. It is a strong case that will stand up to alot of abuse. A buddy of mine runs a 242 behind his 4.7 stroker motor which is pushing 250 hp and he has had no problems. He has a heavy foot too. There is a real lack of aftermarket support for it, like the guys here said, but if all you plan on doing is mild wheeling then you will have no problems with your 242.

Thanks all the input is vary helpfull. I just put a refab one in my XJ I bought for $250 I got from a shop with a 6 month warrenty so I think I got a good deal

We've had 4 XJ's and a ZJ with that case and have put alot of miles on them with only one needing replacement, and that one outlasted the truck's factory D35 (both were replaced at 200K+ miles!) too.

Back