• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converter drain plug?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a '96 Sport with the AW4 trans. I want to clean the filter and replace the fluid, is there a drain plug for the torque converter (like on Fords) or is pulling the cooler return hose the only way to change ALL the ATF in the trans? Thanks for any input. It's so much nicer here than on the Pirate Board........Hans (new to Jeeps)

The earlier AW4's do not have a TC drain plug, and I suspect this is true of all years (although I can't confirm it offhand.)

Apparently, the "power flush" is the only way to clear all the fluid - but I've not had any trouble with "service changes" of fluid. It's not generally necessary to change the filter, since it's little more than a sump strainer (open mesh stainless screen.) On all my XJ's, I've only pulled the pan the first time I changed the fluid, then every time after that I've allowed the fluid to drain over a nice, strong magnet (I have several) to check for metal particles. If I don't see any, I reseal the plug and refill.

I plan to add spin-on remote filters one of these days - I'm just not in a huge hurry (and all four of my XJ's are now slated for long-term restomod projects, so I can do it all at once anyhow.)

5-90

I'll drop my '96 TC tomorrowish and let you know if it's got a drain, but I doubt it so far. I've got a late-80s TC in the back of my Jeep as well and no drain there.

Back