• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruisin' in the Jeep ... NOT!!!

Dragline

NAXJA Forum User
My cruise control has been broken for about 5 years now, and I've just been living with it. I thought the on/off switch on the turn signal stalk was just broken. It worked fine until one day it got stuck in the off position and I had to use considerable force to unstick it. After that it never worked at all. Today while I was at the junkyard, I grabbed a stalk with the CC switches out of an '89 (mine is a '92). I connected the four wires from my steering column to the four wires on the "new" stalk and have it just hanging there, and it still won't work. In order to troubleshoot this, I need to know all the components of the CC. Does anyone have any diagrams of this system? Other than checking all the vacuum hoses what else can I check? I have replaced the ECU "computer" in the past 5 years, does the ECU have ANYTHING to do with cruise control? I have no idea if the vehicle the ECU came out of had CC or not. When I try to use the CC absolutely nothing happens. HELP!!!

Along the same line; my '88 limiteds' cc does every thing but "hold", it will acc. by pushing the button, will decel. if you release the button. Is it possible that the cc comp. is bad? have tried another switch, same result as all ready exsisted.

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for. That writeup was for a '87-'90. Mine is a '92 (the turn signal stalk is from an '89 but it looks identical to mine). Is the '87-'90 much different from my '92 and will I be able to use the schematic to troubleshoot mine?

Back