• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch question...HELP!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I have an '89 MJ, 2.5L, AX4, and a bad clutch. (I think...)
The tranny won't shift into gear unless the engine is off. Also, the truck won't roll at all when the cluch is pressed in. (engine off)
The master cylinder is full, and there are no "major" leaks that look excessive. Yes, I made sure the linkage was arttached to the pedal. :laugh3:
How do you tell if the problem is with the slave or the master cylinder?
Thanks!

Another symptom..
There is no visable fluid movement in the master cylinder when pressing the clutch pedal.

Have you tried bleeding it?

I was having similar problems, the master cylinder started to go recently and got progressively worse daily. It was the m/c, it wasn't leaking but it mad a horrible noise and the clutch wasn't disengaging right. Anyway, I replaced it last weekend and now it works great. Actually mine has the combination master and slave so I did both. You may want to try vaccuum bleeding it first.

Do you know if you have an external or internal slave?

OK, dumb question time...
I haven't had this rig long enough to obtain a SM for it. :banghead:
Does anyone have a link or instructions for bleeding it?

bajacalal said:
I was having similar problems, the master cylinder started to go recently and got progressively worse daily. It was the m/c, it wasn't leaking but it mad a horrible noise and the clutch wasn't disengaging right. Anyway, I replaced it last weekend and now it works great. Actually mine has the combination master and slave so I did both. You may want to try vaccuum bleeding it first.

Do you know if you have an external or internal slave?
The slave is internal.

Did you replace it when you had the last clutch job? Do you know? So if its old than it might need replaced. In this case, if its never been done, I'd replace the master cylinder and start of with new parts on both ends so you don't have the same problem reocurring.

Oh, try bleeding it first though.

Edit: Look into "vaccuum bleeders" there not that expensive at autopart stores.

BillR said:
I have an '89 MJ, 2.5L, AX4, and a bad clutch. (I think...)
The tranny won't shift into gear unless the engine is off. Also, the truck won't roll at all when the cluch is pressed in. (engine off)
The master cylinder is full, and there are no "major" leaks that look excessive. Yes, I made sure the linkage was arttached to the pedal. :laugh3:
How do you tell if the problem is with the slave or the master cylinder?
Thanks!
Any leak when it comes to the hydraulic clutch is excessive.

bajacalal said:
Did you replace it when you had the last clutch job? Do you know? So if its old than it might need replaced. In this case, if its never been done, I'd replace the master cylinder and start of with new parts on both ends so you don't have the same problem reocurring.

Oh, try bleeding it first though.

Edit: Look into "vaccuum bleeders" there not that expensive at autopart stores.
I have a vacuum bleeder.
Is the bleed screw on the MC or on the slave?

So...
I'll need to pull the slave to bleed it if I just need to replace the MC? Is there a way to get to the bleed screw without pulling it?

The fitting for the bleed screw sticks out of the bell housing right above the line coming from the m/c and going to the slave. No need to "pull" anything loose to bleed.

ren said:
The fitting for the bleed screw sticks out of the bell housing right above the line coming from the m/c and going to the slave. No need to "pull" anything loose to bleed.
That's what I wanted to hear! :clap:
Thanks!

You'll need a 1/4" wrench to loosen the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder. You might want to invest in a set of flair nut wrenches so you don't strip the bleeder nipple (easy to do with a regular wrench).

If bleeding the system doesn't work and you have fluid leak at bellhousing, that indicates a failed slave cylinder. A search here will give you good instructions on how to change it. Good luck.

Back