• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse Location Problem

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ. My cigarette lighter and cruise control have both stopped working. I can't find any slots on the under-dash fuse block that indicate they are these devices. Are the fuse slots listed as something else? Any suggestions?

OK -
Per 1990 FSM...

The cigar lighter feeds off of the "Radio" fuze (15A, Blue, #2)

The cruise control module seems to get power from the "Gages" fuze (7.5A, Violet, #17) There is also an inline fuze (4A, "Taped to cruise harness near fuze panel) that you'll want to check - it supplied power through the multifunction switch on the column. The wires in and out of that fuze are pink, 14 gage, and runs between the brake lamp switch (at the top of the brake pedal) and the multifunction switch (on the tree.)

The cigar lighter should only work with the key in ON or ACC - not with the key OFF. Just so you know...

5-90

Thanks for the fuse locations. I found them and they aren't the problem. Now comes the troubleshooting fun. The lighter should be pretty straightforward, but I suspect the cruise control will be a challange.

Stick, or auto? If it's a stick you'd better have a good look at the fuseblock; I think that was the last year that it sat under the clutch pushrod....which conveniently leaks down the back of the fuses until weird electrical problems occur. Left alone long enough, it will eat the block apart.

Back