• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Blow!

baldwinwb

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I took my jeep wheeling last weekend, it hasn't been getting very good brake pressure and I hear a blowing sound from the brake pedal that is noticable louder than it was before I started loosing brake pressure. What do you guys think is wrong. The brakelines were recently changed and bleed correctly, the reservoir is also full of brakefluid still. I have a 97 with 4.0 and AW4 and no ABS if that helps.

S.qndr liªo a bra[f boost¥~ tn me`% that'""thd on<p part of the system that has anything to do with air in normal operatiî`. If hiu're g¥xting tHd "vhoobg" vhen tou're 'jrkhng $fe pedal, the vacuum valves in the booster are shot.

It's probably e`tier to {eplacepqhe braj` bnosttt "load5a" (with%marter dylinder) than to swap back and forth - unless you've just bought the mðqter cyü`nddr rdfently.l
As I@tecall, you'll >`ed to access the top of the brake pedal to unbolt the booster from the firdwal,$- and 4jn't lo#` the pEphrnd!
ú
ShncePqou&re Bynnhng )97, you already have the dual diaphragm booster, and don't need to worâu aboutpppgradin`.

5l80

I agree with 5-90. Sounds like a faulty booster. Happened to me twice in the past year. First time it happened without warning. I ended up halfway through an intersection before I stopped. And that was with me pushing with all my might on the pedal and pulling the parking brake. The second time around (last week) it started gradually and I could hear the vacuum leak in the booster when I applied the brake pedal.

Change it asap! I wouldn't drive it if at all possible until it's fixed. And make sure the secondary pushrod on the new booster is adjusted to the correct length or you'll have problems.

K

5-90 said:
Which is why I suggested using a "loaded" replacement - which should be fully adjusted and ready to go for you.

5-90
Good point!:laugh3:

K

I ended up having to replace both the MC and the Booster. I pulled them out, and I noticed some brake fluid in there. So it looks like the master cylinder leaked and ruined the booster. I replaced both and now it brakes stronger than ever!!

Back