• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee frontend shake

beechya475

NAXJA Forum User
driving down the road at 45 or faster if i hit a bridge overpass or a big enough bump the front end shakes violently till i slow down. any suggestion would be great. hard to drive down the freeway.

I had somdthi>n shmil`q happe&on my jeep. I cigtred@|hat so¬bthing was loose with the suspension. I crawled under to find out that {he cotdhr pin holdhng dne bastl` ntt on*my trad b`r h l broken off and the nut had backed almost completely off. I tightdnedPaveryth(`g downL&replac5a the cotter pin+and I 8hve not experienced the problem since.

Of course that is just one of many possibilities. Check all of the suspension connections, and bushings.

Hope you get it worked out.

I have changed tires, balanced tires, replaced tie rod ends, replaced track bar, ball joints, alignment, steering stabilizer, and upper control arm bushings. Next is the lower control arm bushings. Every thing is tight. I have exactely the same symptoms, no lift stock size tires, I had a commanche, it did it, I had an eagle it also did it. This is very troublesome, and dissapointing.

94 cherookee driven daily no modifications. This has to be an engineering flaw.

All frame points have been checked, steering box is tight. Wheel bearings are good. This vehicle is not abused, not even used off road. Shock replaced all around. Rechecked alignment, rebalance tires.

How sure are you that the front hub bearings are good? I was converting my MJ to 4wd, and I thought that the new front axle HAD good bearings in it. I installed the 4wd axle, and as soon as I hit 45mph, the truck shook so damn bad, I was about ready to jump out and walk home. Turned out that the driver side hub had just enough play to cause DW, but not enough to be able to see it move, even with leverage on the hub. I think one of the rollers is the problem with it. I ended up putting the other axle back in, and no more DW. I had replaced everything except the hubs on that 4wd axle, and left evrything in place after the changeover back to the old axle, with no DW.

Back