• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with tranny- no 4th gear?

LoneRanger

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I got my XJ and it was much cleaner than I thought (is that possible?)

I am 40 miles from the dealer and I stop for gas in my other car, park the new jeep, turn it off, gas the other car then get back in the jeep start it, drive it over to the fuel pump (so I could clean the winshield) let it idle for 4-5 mins then get in and go down the road to the interstate. While driving the 2-300 yards to the interstate the check engine light goes on (no biggie I am not too worried about that) then I get onto the interstate and immediaetly notice it is turning 3Krpms at 70mph. so I am not in 4th gear- wtf?

I go down 1 exit, pull over and am checkin things out, I unplug the battery wait 10 mins, plug it back in and my check engine light is STILL on, but I can drive interstate speeds now (got 4th gear back).

this happens once more on the trip home, stop to go pee, turn it off yadda yadda yadda....... get in, take off and I only have 3 gears. Disco the battery (this time for 5 seconds) re-connect and I get my 4th gear back (is that an OD gear? lol), although the check engine light was still on I was able to get home in a reasonable amt of time.

it is something electrical, and I am betting it is something simple. any ideas? the truck runs good, motor sounds smooth, shifts smooth (when it shifts through all the gears!) everything works, etc........

I am thinking now that it is the shift solenoids in the Valve Body, or the TPS. I can rev right through the first 3 gears with good firm shifts and it does not keep me restricted to 3rd Everytime I drive. I came to work today and I was in 3rd all the way but 8 hours later I had my OD back and could cruise @ 75mph all the way home with out turning 3500 rpm's!

thanks for any help! over all I am happy with it- now for the lift!

L.R.

on the way to work this afternoon I had no 4th gear (OD) I drove 1 mile, pulled up to a light turned the truck off and right back on, got on the interstate and had OD and all was fine with the world! (except for the check engine light) WTF is going on here? LOL

L.R.

LoneRanger said:
on the way to work this afternoon I had no 4th gear (OD) I drove 1 mile, pulled up to a light turned the truck off and right back on, got on the interstate and had OD and all was fine with the world! (except for the check engine light) WTF is going on here? LOL

L.R.

GET THE CODE PULLED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LoneRanger said:

L.R.
so what was it, i am now having this prob?

I replied to your PM, I dont remember the exact code now but it was some type of tranny short code- I cleaned and re-built the NSS and it went away in a day and has been fine ever since.

L.R.

Thanks Lone Ranger, i did that too but now i have the 4th gear prob, maybe i put too much dielectric grease in the nss? well i guess i will just buy a new nss next week....

hope that fixes it!

Back