• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't start automatic with shifter at "Neutral"

csmith676

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having stalling problems, and I am unable to restart the engine when I put it in Neutral. This mean I have to come to a complete stop and put the jeep in park to start it up again. I've gone rolling through an intersection in neutral and the engine off, and had to wait to steer off the road to stop, shift to park, and restart the engine.

Any ideas what causes this?

I know, I know...fix the engine stall and this wouldn't be an issue. I'd like to resolve this still for safety purposes. That is my next project.

90 XJ 4.0 automatic
Thanks guys.

i dont think you can start any automatic automobile while in neutral

i know i couldn't start my sentra when it was in neutral

langer1 said:
You need to clean the contacts on the NSS.

X 2, search it out and you'll find it.

XJ's should start in neutral.

Something was wrong with the Sentra.

Vehicles with automatics are suppose to start in either Park or Neutral. If your engine cuts off for any reason and your on a multi lane road you are suppose to be able to shift into N while rolling and restart. Wouldn't want to come to a complete stop and place in P to start chancing getting rear ended.

The NSS is either gummed up with dirt and other crud or incorrectly adjusted. There are several threads about how to clean an XJ NSS, do a search, I did Monday and cleaning my 88 is this weekends project.

Good Luck,
Tom

my xj starts in neutral

Boatwrench said:
Something was wrong with the Sentra.

Vehicles with automatics are suppose to start in either Park or Neutral. If your engine cuts off for any reason and your on a multi lane road you are suppose to be able to shift into N while rolling and restart. Wouldn't want to come to a complete stop and place in P to start chancing getting rear ended.

Our opinions, and those of the Gummint Safety Patrol don't necessarily agree! Another oddball data point... my '01 Jetta (5-speed) wouldn't restart until you'd turned the key to OFF, and then back to start.

Talk about crazy! The first time I stalled it at a traffic light, I damn-near panicked when I couldn't get the starter to crank.....

Damned Germans and their electronic wackiness...
Den

nss.jpg

I agree w/Langer....clean it, be careful removing it, if it breaks coming off try Ford and Sons Salvage.....I got one from them, in real good shape for around $25 delivered, they were real helpful and quite concerned that I get the right part. Was a pleasure doing business with them.

DenLip said:
Our opinions, and those of the Gummint Safety Patrol don't necessarily agree! Another oddball data point... my '01 Jetta (5-speed) wouldn't restart until you'd turned the key to OFF, and then back to start.

Talk about crazy! The first time I stalled it at a traffic light, I damn-near panicked when I couldn't get the starter to crank.....

Damned Germans and their electronic wackiness...
Den

I had a 66 beetle and it worked that way. That's to keep the starter from being engaged into a running flywheel. Has nothing to do with electronics.

JoBo

Back