• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for new shocks

maps

NAXJA Forum User
I need some decent replacement shocks for my wife's stock (no lift) 99 XJ. I also need a steering stabilizer. Anybody have any opinions on what kind to buy? And yes I did a search before I typed this!

Monroe Sensa-Tracs for shocks and go to AutoZone or other for a stock s.s. replacement. Do a search for the Monroes, and you'll see what most think of them.

i just got some gabriel shocks off ebay and threw them on last night.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. After searching, I don't recall reading 1 bad thing about either the Sensa-tracs or the Monroe Reflex.

I went with the Reflex and I couldn't be happier with them. I believe thru the end of October, Monroe has a rebate which will get you 4 for the price of 3.

I am stock as well.

Im suprised you havnt gotten more respones for Old Man Emu....just put them on my buddies XJ and i couldnt beleive the difference they made.

My local 4x4 shop carries Trailmaster shocks. They cost about $60-$70 each, but they have a lifetime warranty -- simply take them back and they'll give you new ones (in any size!). I have them on my YJ and XJ; I have no complaints.

I installed some Monroe Reflex shocks on my wife's 92 Explorer and they firmed up the ride, and decreased the sway on turns and the bouncing going over bumps.
3 shocks for the price of 4 is a good deal.
I got them at Rockauto.com.
Even with shipping, I saved $20 over buying them at the local autoparts stores.(taking the rebate into account)

MAP

Just ordered the Monroe Sensa-track (she likes the soft ride) for my wife's XJ from Rockauto (thanks MAP). Anyone have any pointers on replacement of these puppies. I plan on hitting all old hardware with some penetrating oil tonight. Any advice would be appreciated.

MAPS

PB blast the **** out of those bolts...especially the rear uppers...if you snap those you'll have to drill em out, if possible, hit them for a few nights before you try to break them. Good luck.

Dont get the gabriels....I have them on my xj and they suck..they are ok for the first 3 wks or so after that they ride like crap.

Anyone have any opinion about the blisteins 5100s?

pete

maps said:
Just ordered the Monroe Sensa-track (she likes the soft ride) for my wife's XJ from Rockauto (thanks MAP). Anyone have any pointers on replacement of these puppies. I plan on hitting all old hardware with some penetrating oil tonight. Any advice would be appreciated.

MAPS
Only potential problem area is the upper bolts for the rear shocks. As noted ... soak liberally with PB Blaster for several days before attempting the removal. Soak them down every night between now and the weekend. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea after soaking and just before applying the wrench, to give each bolt head a couple of solid whacks with a hammer. If the threads are rusted, this may help break them loose.

Once you have the old ones off, be sure to use anti-sieze on all threads when you reassemble.

Advice I wish I had followed - I broke two lower front bolts off replacing my venerable Maeco stock shocks with 160k on them. My upper rears were squeaky - I guess the leaking pan gasket passing 5 cases of oil got them ready.
Gasket's fixed (one piece) and Sensatraks are on. Boss recommended Gas Magnums at work, these are what came. They make the ride feel like I have inch thick gel wraps on my tires - smooth control through chuck holes, rock holes, mud holes, and manholes. It's what you get in the Ozarks. Less pitch, sway, jounce, and the teeth rattling jitters went away completely. I guess the old shocks were a little worn out.

They should get a good workout next week during Rural Carrier training.

The top rear bolts are a problem like others have said.
Also, be sure not to overtorque the rear top bolts when you intall the new shocks.. you might strip the threads... (how would I know that??)

MAP

Bilsteins

First thing I replaced on my 2001 when I got it late spring..great on the highway at high speeds, rough roads, and for heavy towing. The upper rear mount design is crap with that stamped steel crossmember. I had 2 bolts shear off (looked like grade 1 steel) with minor force..they are too small to start with. Like they've said, soak it down for a week or so at least and shoot from the sides to get at the nutserts on the back side. Hammering it may also help. I found it also helps to tighten it first to get some free room for very small incremental back and forth twists. whatever you do, go very slowly and take your time..drilling and tapping is a pain..replace with grade 8 equivalent hardware.

A couple of months ago I put Bilstein shocks (standard suspension height model, not 5100s) on my 1990 and Doetsch Tech shocks on my daughter's 1990. Results: the Bilsteins are firmer, but not too firm- good control and good on bumps and dips. The DTs are softer, noticably more comfortable on speed bumps. I like them both. The Doetsch Tech were about 1/2 the price of the Bilsteins, and I don't expect them to last as long as the superbly crafted Bilsteins.

4xBob said:
A couple of months ago I put Bilstein shocks (standard suspension height model, not 5100s) on my 1990 and Doetsch Tech shocks on my daughter's 1990. Results: the Bilsteins are firmer, but not too firm- good control and good on bumps and dips. The DTs are softer, noticably more comfortable on speed bumps. I like them both. The Doetsch Tech were about 1/2 the price of the Bilsteins, and I don't expect them to last as long as the superbly crafted Bilsteins.

Same as when you compare the Bilsteins to the Rancho RSX. The Ranchos tend to be softer and are essentially copies of the Bilsteins. I haven't seen quality like that of the Bilsteins on anything else. They don't make steering stabilizers, so a Rancho 5401 works just fine. :)

JeepXJ93 said:
PB blast the **** out of those bolts...especially the rear uppers...if you snap those you'll have to drill em out, if possible, hit them for a few nights before you try to break them. Good luck.

Well 3 nights of PB blaster and all 4 of the rear upper bolts still snapped while rermoving them. Anyone have an idea of what size drill bit and tap I need to fix this problem? I don't have a tap so I must go to the hardware store. Steering stabilizer went on without a problem though!!!

Back