• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler leak?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
so about 3 months ago I Installed a b&m tranny cooler up behind the grill Infront of the radiator, everything was great for about 2 months, then I went on a trail ride on a hot day, I got alot of noise from the engine/radiator area that day and I thought It was the fan turning on and off when I would go from drive It was off, then when I put It in park, It turns on and is loud...anyway I think Its still working and doing Its Job because when I put my hand Infront of the grill where the b&m is, It feels cool like a/c, slide my hand down where the radiator is and Its hot...

anyway I'v noticed over the past 3 weeks since I'v been back It's leaking I think "radiator fluid" (dark, sticky, not very thick) the same stuff that came out when I cut the hoses to hook-up the b&m, but anyway Iv noticed Its leaking, the hose lines look good, It seems to be coming from the tranny cooler up top, Im not sure? I'd say each day It leaks a spot about the size of a quarter. It comes down the tranny cooler and runs down the front frame and onto the ground, hoses look clean so I dont think Its them, any Ideas before I tear my grill apart to look?

Radiator fluid = water + coolant. It's not supposed to be "dark, sticky and not very thick"

Transmission fluid = reddish, aka dark, sticky and not very thick.

How is it mounted? Using nylon post-style zipties to hold it in place? I hate to say it, but you may have screwed it there if that's the case since they can wear right through the fins and tubes if it moves at all. It's time to tear the grill open and look.

Back