• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boxed control arms

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
I'm trying to fit 31x10.5 tires on stock wheels, with a two inch spacer and trimming. The tires are rubbing on the lower control arms on the rolled edge.
Has anyone cut and boxed these arms for clearance.
PS I'm doing this all very low buck!!!

If your doing this low buck, adjust the steering stops so the tires don't hit, you won't loose much of your turning radius and it's free.

The stock control arms are designed to be weak torsionally, allowing the axle to articulate during flexing. Aftermarket products (good ones) that are made of solid tube use some type of flex joint to allow twisting of the axle. If you box the stock arms, they will be much stiffer and you'll probably wear out the rubber bushings faster, assuming you get out and wheel it from time to time. For daily driving it'll be fine.

footdale said:
The stock control arms are designed to be weak torsionally, allowing the axle to articulate during flexing. Aftermarket products (good ones) that are made of solid tube use some type of flex joint to allow twisting of the axle. If you box the stock arms, they will be much stiffer and you'll probably wear out the rubber bushings faster, assuming you get out and wheel it from time to time. For daily driving it'll be fine.

SPOBI

Factory control arms were not designed to "twist", that's what the rubber bushings are for.

Boxing is a good idea to gain rigidity for off-road applications if it's done the right way. It has been done.

Dirk, I would argue with you on this one. I boxed a set quite a few years ago and tried to wheel them. I promptly broke two arms and almost didn't get home. There is not enough flex in the rubber joints to do the type of flex we push XJ's to off road around here.

If you don't believe me, ask JJacobs. I gave him a set and he tore them up ASAP as well.

right and wrong. Its true, the unboxed arms DO flex torsionally which probably does keep them from breaking. however, the jeep engineers probably didnt design them to flex on purpose. it just so happens that the way we use them off road twisting on them, since the rubber bushings are pretty hard, the twisting of the arms does occur and probably needs to occur to prevent breaking them.

Dirk Pitt said:
SPOBI

Factory control arms were not designed to "twist", that's what the rubber bushings are for.

Boxing is a good idea to gain rigidity for off-road applications if it's done the right way. It has been done.

Of course rubber bushings allows for some give, but they are definitely not designed for the angles generated from an articulating axle encountered on a moderate trail. That is why I said for daily driving that setup would work fine. Grab a stock lca and give it a little twist. There is enough torsional compliance there to make it hard to believe that it wasn't designed that way.

Thanks for all the input! I may just bend that lip alittle and adjust my steering stops. I will build some adjustable long arms over the winter.
what kind of failure did the boxing cause, and how was the arm boxed?
Was it only boxed on the bottom?

old_man said:
There is not enough flex in the rubber joints to do the type of flex we push XJ's to off road around here.

footdale said:
Of course rubber bushings allows for some give, but they are definitely not designed for the angles generated from an articulating axle encountered on a moderate trail

olivedrabcj7 said:
the jeep engineers probably didnt design them to flex on purpose

Exactly, like I said earlier, the arms are not designed to twist. They were designed the way they were with a rubber bushing on each end to handle the "flex" they were designed for, not very much.

This is why you don't see anyone who wheels very much use a factory style arm. We use JKS style/cartridge joints/heims.

olivedrabcj7 said:
however, the jeep engineers probably didnt design them to flex on purpose.

Straight from the horses mouth. I just got off the phone with my buddy who is a Division rep from chrysler corp. He contacted the design department and the engineers stated they were designed for moderate torsional flex..............

Dirk Pitt said:
This is why you don't see anyone who wheels very much use a factory style arm. We use JKS style/cartridge joints/heims.

ive got bushings on 3 of the 4joints per pair of arms on my junk and it seems to work alright...

Procrap LCA's with poly bushings
RE UCA's with SF joints at the body and bushings at the axle (stock rubber)

i think the bushings give more than we give them credit...

that said - i would like to run all hard joints some day...

jrsxj98 said:
Straight from the horses mouth. I just got off the phone with my buddy who is a Division rep from chrysler corp. He contacted the design department and the engineers stated they were designed for moderate torsional flex..............
The key word is moderate, I would think with old hard bushings you would risk cracking the frame mounts also.

Something else not mentioned,the stock arms/shock mounts limit the drop-out.Thats why most aftermarket arms have a kick/offset in them.At 5" w/ RE arms I still needed to grind the mounts for optimum travel.

Back