• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow point inserted in hitch??

PEAFMAN

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hopefully heading up to paragon park in PA as my first real off-roading trip w/ my new stock xj. One of the requirments to ride in the park is tow points. I have a hidden hitch receiver. Does anybody know of any good tow points that I could install in this. If so a link would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

what he said ^ or you can get one of those shackle inserts for the receiver.

Shackle.jpg

XJ-HEAT said:
If you have a 2 inch tow strap, you can just put the end in the receiver tube and put the hitch pin through the loop.

I'd go with the shackle insert... Any major twisting while pulling could break the pin..

The strap spreads the load out the lenght of the pin just like the shackle setup.
But I will add that the strap in the reciever does stand more of a chance of being damaged.
Either way ,PEAFMAN, will handle your needs well.
How are you set up on the front?

XJ-HEAT said:
The strap spreads the load out the lenght of the pin just like the shackle setup.
But I will add that the strap in the reciever does stand more of a chance of being damaged.

I've never seen a pin bend with the insert. I can't say the same for just a strap and pin.

XJ-HEAT said:
It can just don't use the hook, thats true.

here is a pic of my homemade tow point to fit a 2" receiver
dxbntj.jpg

dxbo5v.jpg

dxbo8p.jpg

made from 2 tow points off a chevy truck not sure the year, but they were free and I'm sure you could get them at a junk yard cheaper than you can buy the D-ring insert.. I just cut the curved peice off the back and drilled the holes big enough for the hitch pin and welded them together... but it will also work without them being welded together.. also had to grind a little off the inside so they would meet flush in the middle and slide easier into the receiver... works like a champ... :cheers:

XJ-HEAT said:

Actually, no, it doesn't.

The wrinkle is that the strap can put tension anywhere on the pin inside the receiver, from a single point to spread across the entire span. Worst case would be a pull on the middle of the span, this is what will bend the pin. An insert will put the tension immediately next to the walls of the receiver. This is a shear load on the pin. Bending doesn't occur because there is no significant lever to be applied against.

I use a towbar with a shackle.

NOT THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN

If you are interested in this, do a search.​

I'm gonna take my MJ out for the first time this weekend. I have a rear tow point. But what about the front? I have the stock bumper and no tow hooks or brackets. What can i do for just this weekend? Thanks

RandysMJ said:
I'm gonna take my MJ out for the first time this weekend. I have a rear tow point. But what about the front? I have the stock bumper and no tow hooks or brackets. What can i do for just this weekend? Thanks

depends on what kind of wheeling you will be doing and make sure that you will not have to pull or be pulled by the front. unless you can buy or make you some good tow points for the front.. DO NOT try to recover or be recovered by a stock front bumper.... just my .02 take it for what it's worth..

The front axle will take a light pull. One thing about having a rear recovery point only is that you can generally get away with being pulled backwards out of the mess.

Back