• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how hard is it to install gears?

big mike 27

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a hp d30 and a ch 8.25 rear and I need to regear.

I've got 31s with 3.07s and a 5spd, and it's a dog down low.

My buddy went to Wyotech, and I'm an expert backyard mechanic and we've got all the tools we'd need at our disposal, but neither of us have ever done gears before.

Is this doable ourselves? The local 4x4 shops want $200 an axle to do it.

It's certainly doable. Just keep in mind it is going to take a long while to get perfect your first time. I'd hit up Randy's ring and pinion website and find their gear manual. Learn it, live it, your diffs will be quiet.

The 8.25 has a collar on it to adjust the preload on the carrier. You will need a tool for it or fab your own up. Search for it here and hopefully you'll get some hits.

Install is easy, setting the gear backlash and pattern is tricky. Also pay attention to the ft/lbs of resistance on the pinion and set it to the same when reinstalling the new one. A torque wrench on the pinion nut (turning the rear axle) would be the easiest way.

This is a good set of instructions: http://www.differentials.com/install.html

This is a better set: http://www.randysringandpinion.com/downloads/yukoninstman.pdf

You'll need an in-lb torque wrench to measure the pinion preload, the beam type work best for this actually. You'll also need a regular torque wrench, dial calipers, dial indicator w/magnetic base, air tools are always handy, you'll need a shop press, bearing puller/splitter setup, locktite (may come in your overhaul kits), and of course a good assortment of sockets and wrenches. Setup bearings make life worlds easier. You can buy them (through Randy's for instance) or make them yourself using a diegrinder and an old set of carrier and pinion bearings.

I just got done installing some 4.88's in our TJ this past weekend. It's no walk in the park, but with the right tools and good instructions it's doable.

$200/axle for labor on gear installs is CHEAP! Most shops will charge $250-$300+ depending on front or rear axle and if you bring in the vehicle or just the axles.

Your friend went to Wyotech and they didn't do a differential set up? Wow, I've heard that their program wasn't the worlds greatest, but geez. The program I went through we spend 3 weeks just on differential repair.

It's not hard... you just need about 2,000 dollars worth of tools. Now, if you already have them no big deal. If you don't and don't have easy access to them then having someone else do them is your best bet, especially if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself and it will be your daily driver. If it's your trail rig, you have a lot of time and want to learn as you go, then go for it.

big mike 27 said:
I'm an expert backyard mechanic
Well then shouldn't you already know? From bitter experience I am always wary of someone who is a self-confessed expert in their chosen subject - no offence meant. The more experience you gain the more you find you have still to learn. Why not take the axle to one of the shops and ask them for a discount for helping them (and seeing how to do it).

redsand187 said:
you just need about 2,000 dollars worth of tools.

2000 dollar worth of tools to do it the easy way. The only specialty tools that are necessary are:
Dial indicator/magnetc base
dial calipers
inch/lb torque wrench.

As stated before the Yukon/randy's manual is a very good guide and should walk you through the process pretty eaisly.

redsand187 said:
Your friend went to Wyotech and they didn't do a differential set up? Wow, I've heard that their program wasn't the worlds greatest, but geez. The program I went through we spend 3 weeks just on differential repair.
They have different schools which concentrate on different areas. He was in collision so he can make a wrecked truck look new (I've seen him do it, amazing work) but a few things like gears were never covered.

Chancer said:
Well then shouldn't you already know? From bitter experience I am always wary of someone who is a self-confessed expert in their chosen subject - no offence meant. The more experience you gain the more you find you have still to learn. Why not take the axle to one of the shops and ask them for a discount for helping them (and seeing how to do it).
Like I said, one of the only things I don't know how to do is gears. Never had to work on them before, so I've never worked on them before. I've drained and refilled the diffs and added breathers so they don't get waterlogged, but aside from that I haven't really messed with them.

on set up gears..
cant you just pull the old ones off the carrier , dremel em out and use those??
of course this entails buying a master install kit which I believe is the norm

ohh yea Brad the consensus is get two crush sleeves for the 8.25 jsut in case you over crush the one by mistake..

my thoughts are if you are planning to do more than one set of gears in yoiur lifetime but the according tools and learn how to install em yourself

btw there are a lot of shops that charge a lot more for gear installs..

ohhh and does the shop guarrantee the setup??
I know a guy that had to have his done 3 times by the same shop cause the mechanic screwed up the ARB and the diff seized twice !!

VegasAnthony said:
on set up bearings..
cant you just pull the old ones off the carrier , dremel em out and use those??
of course this entails buying a master install kit which I believe is the norm

Yes, that's what I did. Makes life much easier.

Lucas said:
2000 dollar worth of tools to do it the easy way. The only specialty tools that are necessary are:
Dial indicator/magnetc base
dial calipers
inch/lb torque wrench.

As stated before the Yukon/randy's manual is a very good guide and should walk you through the process pretty eaisly.
What about a press, press accesories, a puller, bearing knife...

The guy has no clue what he is doing, so why tell him to do it the hardest way possible? So he messes up his diff's wastes 600 bucks, his time and his ego?

Like I said, if you really don't know much about doing it, then don't. If this is your daily driver you can get youself into a big mess later on down the road. There is a big difference between getting gears set up to work, and getting gears set up to work RIGHT. Now, if it was your trail rig that would see very little milege, then that would be one thing. But if it's your daily driver that sees a 100 mile commute, that is another.

If you are going to attempt it, start with the front axle first. That way you have are more comfortable when it comes time to the rear. The rear is the more important since it will be driven 100% of the time.

redsand187 said:

its an optional 3 weekend course - 5 hrs a day

my good friend who is there just took it...

Last edited:
VegasAnthony said:
thread hijack but recently I saw a set of D44 setup bearings go for over $35 on EBAY wtf??

they sell set up bearings for something cheaper that arent dremeled versions...

there are real set up bearings...

i know the D35 doesnt require them - the shims are outside the bearings...

if it is your DD, i wouldn't do it. if you have some other transportation, and have/have access to- some tools, it's not really that hard, it just takes a while. theres nothing wrong with using the old bearings for setup, break out the old caliper and measure them against the new ones. here is a dial indicator w/ stand that's less than $70:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dial-Indicator-Magnetic-Base_W0QQitemZ4577252259QQcategoryZ43991QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

a buddy w/ a hydraulic press and a mid-priced puller (you should be able to make your own bearing adapters) and a master install kit and you should be pretty much set. here's a puller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POSI-LOCK-gear-and-bearing-puller_W0QQitemZ8001782564QQcategoryZ33731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the key is to take your time. if you get frustrated w/ the pattern,etc, walk away and come back later.

It depends on what axles we are talking about.That will determine how easy it is to pull the bearings without damage (the proper puller).

It really isn't that hard. If you take your time and do lots of reading then you can handle it. It actually is kinda fun. I did my 3rd and 4th axle today.

redsand187 said:
The guy has no clue what he is doing, so why tell him to do it the hardest way possible? So he messes up his diff's wastes 600 bucks, his time and his ego?
The guys not an idiot, and if he's as expert a mechanic as he says he is then diffs shouldn't be a problem for him. It's not black magic. I've seen and done a handfull of successful regears (no failed ones :laugh3: ), but I have never even seen a pinion depth tool or case spreader in person.

Back