• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAT piping

Mike in NJ

NAXJA Life Member
NAXJA Member
Why is it that Jeep repair is always an adventure?

Long story short - plugged CAT on my '92 - have a hi-flow replacement, but ONCE AGAIN (similar problem with a '96), the after-market piping doesn't match the situation. A half hour job of just bolting in new stuff becomes a PIA.

The '92 OEM piping has a square, four bolt flange where the CAT mates with the downpipe, but the aftermarket CAT has a 2.25" straight inlet tube. Tried some auto parts places, but the closest thing I can find is a diagonal two hole flange on 2.25" pipe. Anyone have a source of the OEM square variety, preferably with 2.125" (or 2.375") pipe???

BTW, suggestions of cut and snip and weld won't be very easy because of the Borla S.S. downpipe which DOES end in a square flange. (At least those people know what's going on - you do get what you pay for from Borla)

Thanks,

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Try looking in a speed shop.Look for the adapter that mates header collectors to the exhaust pipe.
Some of them have a 4 bolt flange.
Wayne

Mike, I am not quite sure if I completely understand your situation or not. But if I am right, I had the same problem, so What I did was cut the flange off of the old CAT with my cut off saw, cleaned it up with my 4" grinder, and then welded it to my new CAT. But like I said, I don't know if this is exactly what you are talking about or not. Hope this helps.........

Casper

Yep, Keith, you know what I'm talking about. And, I thought of that route too. But, it's not like Chrysler left a lot to play with back in '92. The OEM CAT's flange is just about flush with the CAT body. Besides, that's a 201K, 11 year old piece of metal. Would be real nice if I could find a simple adapter - then there would be no need for cutting and welding. I have to try Wayne's suggestion of checking speed shops as well.

I think you'll find that speed shops generally have 3-bolt flanges. Never saw a 4-bolt one.

The problem is that you got a universal fit cat, and they are intended for weld-in installation using the cut-off end of your original inlet pipe. The direct fit cats I've gotten from Summit Racing came with a 4-bolt flange that mated up perfectly, although I had to buy the gasket from a dealer.

Best suggestion I can offer, short of sending back your cat and buying a direct fit, is to unbolt the old flange, remove the old cat, then cut off the flange and as much inlet pipe as you can salvage, then warm up the welder.

Well, now that's interesting - because the "DIRECT FIT" CAT I got from Summit Racing for one of my other XJ's needed modifications as well!

Yours must have come from the other Summit.

This one is from another supplier and is another "made for that model" CAT.

I'm convinced that all of these companies just blow smoke up our ***** :mad:

Have to get an adapter built, using my always reliable metal working shop in Penndel! :)

Mike,

I had the same issue on my 92 and ended up using the old flange. Your right ...not a lot to work w/. and mine was rusted up well.
The option of simply buying a flange is hard to find......problem was everyone uses them to make cheater pipes to rid them of the cat.
I have seen flanges for more popular cars IE: Chevy but for Jeeps....good luck.

Chewy

Back