• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

motor swap

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
Submerged my motor this past weekend, it runs but it's weak. I can buy a 98 xj thats a rollover with 42k on it for $400. Mine is an 87 so its a renix system. Is it possible to just use the long block from the 98? will the manifolds and brackets bolt up from an 87?Or are my only options to convert my system to the HO wiring harness and computer or get a motor from an early XJ? If this won't work I"ll just say screw it and build a stroker motor,right now i was just looking for the quick way out.

The block should be pretty much the same. Oil filter neck and things like that are different. The header and intake should bolt right up. I would take the whole deal when you take it out. Use your old thermostat housing, and the old intake and you should be okay. But try calling

http://accuratepower.com/Jeep/

They know the jeep engine. Juice

No offense, but before I dig into this I was looking for a little more definate answer than "shoulds" and "maybes". I don't want to buy this thing and then have a motor of no use to me.

it will work, a lot of people have done it. But for the little nuts and bolts give them a call.

I can't believe I got to call spobi on my own post. I found out it won't work. The intake manifold ports don't line up. Luckily I had another HO motor here in the floor and got to looking at it closely.So there is a lot more than a nuts and bolts issue.

The block will swap with no prob's except maybe a different oil filler neck but the ports on the renix head and ports on the HO head are not the same. The manifolds will bolt up but the ports will be a bit off. why not just swap the whole motor into your car with the harness, computer and cooling system, just basically swap out engine compartments.

ERic

The early manifolds can be reworked to fit the newer HO head. There are a couple of people on the Strokers group who have done this.

BIGWOODY said:
I can't believe I got to call spobi on my own post. I found out it won't work. The intake manifold ports don't line up. Luckily I had another HO motor here in the floor and got to looking at it closely.So there is a lot more than a nuts and bolts issue.

What do you want someone to come over and put the engine in for you? Hey I have done many a swap in my day, muscle cars, Jeeps, Chevy Trucks. So, I give you a number to call of a company that knows and does this everyday. What you can't call? That is what this forum is for. If someone doesn't have the info, they point you in the right direction. Or better yet go find the info out for yourself. But I guess you don't have enough nuts and bolts.

BIGWOODY,

All 4.0L blocks should be externally the same. The newer motors have better ribbing and casting inside them to prevent block flex. Your non HO head will bolt onto the bottom end of the newer block. Use all the accesory brackets from the non HO and you have a working motor. The problem arises when you start to swap non HO external brackets for HO brackets. I have gone thru this on my Jeep execpt it was a 89 vs a 91.

Go to the Speed Freaks form on JeepsUnlimited and put up a post. Dino is the 4.0L god. Well maybe not god but he knows his stuff VERY well.

AARON

juicexj24 said:
What do you want someone to come over and put the engine in for you? Hey I have done many a swap in my day, muscle cars, Jeeps, Chevy Trucks. So, I give you a number to call of a company that knows and does this everyday. What you can't call? That is what this forum is for. If someone doesn't have the info, they point you in the right direction. Or better yet go find the info out for yourself. But I guess you don't have enough nuts and bolts.
If you read my original post, all I asked was if the long blocks were the same, they aren't, thats not a nuts and bolts issue. However, thank you for the for the info on Accurate power, I will be ordering pistons from them this morning as I have most of the other parts needed to build a stroker motor at my shop. Try to take a pill and settle down also:rolleyes:

The ports don't matter. I've put at least 10 HO long blocks into non HO XJ's with no problem. Reuse your oil filter adapter and move the temp guage sender to the HO tstat housing and drive!!

Back