• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed newer style axle shafts and now it leaks diff fluid

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed 97 d30 axle shafts on my 90 xj, and i went to test out my flex, and diff fluid started leaking out of the end of the axle like crazy. how do i fix this? thanks in advance.
chris

most likely, when you pulled the original shafts, some gear oil seeped into the axle tube, then when you flexed up, it started running out the end of the tube.

of course, the seals may have gotten damaged when you swapped the shafts too!

IME, wait a day or 2 to see if the "leak" stops- just be sure to keep an eye on your gear oil level in the pumpkin.

It takes a special seal,non-disco axles are sealed right behind the carrier bearings.Disco axles(pass. side)are sealed in the tube behind the servo motor housing.

The disco's seal outboard of the disco motor, huge dia compared to the non-disco shaft.

when I converted my 89 disco to non-disco, I pulled the carrier, ground out 2-3mm of axle tube to accept the late model non-disco seal.

I expect there is some seal # that has the smaller OD of a disco axle-tube but has the (way) smaller sealing dia of a non-disco shaft.

Yes... I called Warn, and was told that their seal won't work since their shaft dia at the machined seal surface is larger than OEM.

Back