• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preping for winter wheeling

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I was able to pick-up some tire chains for winter for very cheap so I took um, they are 72" long and 12" wide and v-bar style, so Im pretty sure they should fit my 33x12.50's, only question is has anyone ran BFG M/T's or similar mud tires with tire chains as well? It may be kind of an overkill but I figured It couldnt hurt and Its only extra traction for winter wheeling. I know I can run these on snow and Ice for road situations for extra traction, but how about rockcrawling and mudding when thers snow on the ground? Any advantages there? I found a few pics of A/T's with chains but anyone got anything with M/Ts and chains? Right now I only have 2 chains so Im guessing they should go on the rear tires? Thanks, Josh

haha man those chains might just sit between the knobs on those tires...

EDIT: unless its chains like those in the link above...i thought we were talkin classic wide spaced chains....not bulletproof chainmail

i cannot feature rockcrawling with chains on. mudding, maybe.

yes, they should go on the back tires.

and - do you honestly need a picture of m/t's and chains??

No sorry I dont need a picture but like the above guy mentioned I am thinking the chains may fall Inbetween the lugs of the tires and be pointless, that's why Im wondering If anyone else has done It or If I should Just use my M/T's alone and pass on the chains Idea...And those bullet proof chains are bad ass but mine look nothing like that, mine are the HD chain strip every couple Inch's running straight across the tire.

Oh yea and I dont mean rockcrawling like huge bolders but anyone who has ran something like Paragon or Rauschcreek in the winter time with snow and Ice on the rocks may have an Idea of what I mean when I say chains for extra grab on the rocks...Im Just wondering If the chains would serve a purpose or wether they would tear the tire up even worse....

A constant problem for the rocks where I am in winter is they get sheeted with wet slush and freeze up with a coat of Ice which makes for 0% traction on slick rocks without edges....

chains are designed to move around a little bit on the tire and clean out all the mid/snow thats in the void of the tire to give the tire more bite. theyre not really to act like paddles. id say if you have mud tires, chains are a waste. snow on a mud tire should clean itself if you get some wheelspeed going.

I've found that chains will get me through hard packed, icy snow that I couldn't move on with MTRs. Especially on steep hills!

When the snow is so deep that you start plowing your axles through it the chains don't help any, you are still stuck. :banghead:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Back