• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shims + Centering Pin

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
I have the RE 4.5" kit installed along with an SYE and CV Driveshaft. I need to correct the angle of the axel by about 5 degrees.

Here's my question: When I install the shims the centering pin will no longer sit in the hole in the spring perch. How do I correct this? I called RE and he said I needed to insert some sort of spacer to get the pin in the perch. There is not a whole lot of thread at the top of the bolt in the spring. How do I go about doing this?

Oh - I don't want to spend the $$$ on an 8.25 to have the perches re-welded with the correct angle.

Thanks in advance.

First off you should get the shims that have new centering bolts for the springs. The shim should bolt to the spring pack so the pin sits in the perch correctly.. I always try to use the steel caster shims, due to the aluminum ones will crack over time... I hope this helps...

Scott.

Clean-RC said:
First off you should get the shims that have new centering bolts for the springs. The shim should bolt to the spring pack so the pin sits in the perch correctly.. I always try to use the steel caster shims, due to the aluminum ones will crack over time... I hope this helps...

Scott.

Correct. Remove center pin from leaf pack, (use c-clamps to keep it from dissassembling completely) place shim on bottom, (thick section to the rear) and insert the center pin from the bottom, through the shim and leaf pack.

Reassemble. Done.

SharkXJ said:
I have the RE 4.5" kit installed along with an SYE and CV Driveshaft. I need to correct the angle of the axel by about 5 degrees.

Here's my question: When I install the shims the centering pin will no longer sit in the hole in the spring perch. How do I correct this? I called RE and he said I needed to insert some sort of spacer to get the pin in the perch. There is not a whole lot of thread at the top of the bolt in the spring. How do I go about doing this?

Oh - I don't want to spend the $$$ on an 8.25 to have the perches re-welded with the correct angle.

Thanks in advance.
New center pins should come with the shim kit, mine came with new longer pins.
shimpins.gif

Last edited:
langer1 said:
New center pins should come with the shim kit, mine came with new longer pins.

Thanks for the info. I bought a set off a friend of mine for $5 but it was just the shims. I wasn't aware that they came with a new centering pin. HA HA If I am reading your replies correctly I f'd up - I drilled out the shims to 5/8" (what a dum a$$).

SharkXJ said:
Thanks for the info. I bought a set off a friend of mine for $5 but it was just the shims. I wasn't aware that they came with a new centering pin. HA HA If I am reading your replies correctly I f'd up - I drilled out the shims to 5/8" (what a dum a$$).
Yep you F'd up.

SharkXJ said:

Make a pin with a longer head,or,order the correct shim from RE and it comes with the longer pins included,or longer pins are available from NAPA in 5/16 (stock) or 3/8 some after market spring packs.
Wayne

You can buy bolts with a longer pin,I think the spring shop said the application was Chrysler.

langer1 said:
Accept he as drilled them out now so the wedges are scrap.
No they are not.I was refering to the portion that goes thru the shims and the perches(not the theaded bolt portion).I run them on my 2000,they are about 3/4-1" long!

RCP Phx said:
No they are not.I was refering to the portion that goes thru the shims and the perches(not the theaded bolt portion).I run them on my 2000,they are about 3/4-1" long!
The portion that goes through the shim is the bolt. Are you saying you can get a bolt with a longer head?

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I really appreciate the input.

I went ahead and sucked it up and bought a whole new set.

Thanks again -

Mark

I am installing my shims now, with vehicle on jack stands, shocks disconnected, and u-bolts unbolted. I dropped the axle a few inches and only then discovered the holes in the shim are about 1/4" and the bolts are 3/8ths.

I wish I looked at the shim and bolt at the Rubicon Express shop when I picked them up instead of scrambling to get this done while the Jeep is torn apart.

Back