• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice for Buying a 97+

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
If you've seen my post in the pictures forum, you know I'm probably going to need another XJ. I had an '01, I6, 231, auto with the 8.25 rear. I've searched and all my terms are too common or too short. Anything to watch out for in the 97+ models? Is the manual trans any good? When did they switch to the LP D30? It will be my DD with a 2" lift and 30's when done.

2000 was the HP to LP switch I think. Things to watch out for, evaporator in the heater box, if the seller mentions a 'slow leak in the ac' watch out, better than a 90% chance its the evap and thats a $600+ repair unless you enjoy removing the entire dashboard to get at the heater box. Everything else is not too bad, after all it is a jeep.

If its gonna be a DD I would reccomend the Automatic.....

I love my 2000. I bought it brand new (only 3 miles).
It now has barely 60,000 on it now.
I have had no Problems to speak of.. just the usual VEHICLE problems. hoses,belts etc.. ya know....

2k+ comes with coil-on-plug ignition.....different heads starting either 98 or 99 I think....2000 or 20001 has 4 O2 sensors, 2 pre-pre-cat, 2 post-pre-cat; 3 cats, 2 pre-cat and of course the main one....

Do I have this right - if it's ABS then it's a D35. No ABS could be either the D35 or the 8.25.

As mentioned the engine was modified again in 2000. HP 30 in the 99 and the best of the engine spark and injector set-up. Same in the 98. There have been serveral good articles about selecting an XJ about a year or so ago in JP magizine.

Not all 2ks have pre-cats... Mine does not as it was an IL vehicle and therefore just a pre-cat sensor and a post cat sensor. Head change on the XJs happened in 00'. They moved from a nicer, higher flowing 0630 casting of the head to crack prone, lower flowing 0331 casting.

George Trilikis
00XJ

krakhedd said:
2k+ comes with coil-on-plug ignition.....different heads starting either 98 or 99 I think....2000 or 20001 has 4 O2 sensors, 2 pre-pre-cat, 2 post-pre-cat; 3 cats, 2 pre-cat and of course the main one....

FWIW, I've been happy enough with the manual in my '01 Sport. Got 122k miles on the original clutch, and that's considering and I've taught 4 people how to drive stick in my car and I drive pretty hard. Of course it's a pain sometimes in traffic, but the added control I have off-road (and in general) more than makes up for it, IMO. You also don't need to have a transmission cooler on the manual if you tow (they recommend it for the auto).

The only complaint I could bring up is that it's always been just a little bit jerky, for lack of a better word -- i.e. if you're powering and let off the gas you'll feel a "p'chunk" as the engine shifts from being the power to being the brake (and vice versa). My experience might be unique, though...other people's manuals might not do that (anyone else?). Good luck...

Thanks everyone. I think a '99 with about 100k is what will be in my budget. Of course this all depends on if my '01 gets fixed or not.

I've got a 98 with the "jerky pchunk" sound. But i've got bad mounts and i'll be replacing them soon. So for nothing horrible (knock on wood). I love it to death but that a/c thing scares me. I hope its not a common problem. Cause when i got it it needed to be recharged. I've recharged it and its still good so i guess its fine. How would i know if theres a small leak inside? Any symptoms like film on the windshield?

gptrilik said:
Not all 2ks have pre-cats... Mine does not as it was an IL vehicle and therefore just a pre-cat sensor and a post cat sensor.

Uh... the "improved engine" with ULEV emissions was a selling point of the '00... my PA one (aka, not "CA/Northeast Emissions") has the multi-cat setup.

Mine's a 2-door Sport, 6-cyl/auto/231. 60k miles (mostly winter...). No major problems have been had (knock knock!)... just little stuff:
- T-Case leak when new. Dealer fixed under warranty
- driver seat "bucket" cracked around a bolt. Need to replace someday.

New front brakes for inspection at 55k. Tires replaced early at 30k (I couldn't stomach the thought of another winter on the Goodyear RT/S). Still have my original hoses and belts... but I'm doing the belts before winter.

Den

Back