• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new (Quadratec) tie rod ends popping

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced 3 tie rod ends on stock '89 xj and immediately getting popping sounds up front. Torqued to spec, did search. Are these things suppose to break in. Anybody else have problems with Quadratec tie rod ends. They pop when moving and turning left to right, and vice versa. Don't sound when stopped and cranking steering wheel.

JGXJ said:
Just replaced 3 tie rod ends on stock '89 xj and immediately getting popping sounds up front. Torqued to spec, did search. Are these things suppose to break in. Anybody else have problems with Quadratec tie rod ends. They pop when moving and turning left to right, and vice versa. Don't sound when stopped and cranking steering wheel.
Did you have it re-aligned afterwards?

I had the same problem with the tie rod end on my adjustable track bar.. I found out that the tie rod was undersized, allowing it to shift "pop" when there were lateral G forces on the vehicle. To solve my prob i just went to Napa and got a heavy duty Tie rod that they make for an xj. Put it on, has'nt popped in over a year. If your problem does lie with the track bar, you can replace it with a larger version, or buy a heavy duty track bar and mount kit from Rusysoffroad or Rubicon which changes the trackbar tie rod to a more secure mount.. and allows for more flex.

Was the t.r.e fully seated in the taper before you tightened er' down.

I think the taper on the tre (steering link to pitman arm) was a little thin, and the threads ran out before it could get a good seat. Will replace and see what happens.

Back