• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant in Oil

Not what you were expecting by the title, but yesterday I replaced my valve cover gasket. While I was in there, I also replaced my temperature sender (at the rear of the engine) and the engine ground strap while I had easy access. But I diddn't expect the coolant to come out of the hole with such force (engine was cool, jeep wasn't level). About a shotglass worth of antifreeze went down into the crankcase before I could plug the hole. I know its not good for bearings to get coolant in there but it was only 1 or 2 ounces.

Do I still need to change my oil ASAP or can I go another 1000 miles safely until its the normal time to change?

bajacalal said:
Not what you were expecting by the title, but yesterday I replaced my valve cover gasket. While I was in there, I also replaced my temperature sender (at the rear of the engine) and the engine ground strap while I had easy access. But I diddn't expect the coolant to come out of the hole with such force (engine was cool, jeep wasn't level). About a shotglass worth of antifreeze went down into the crankcase before I could plug the hole. I know its not good for bearings to get coolant in there but it was only 1 or 2 ounces.

Do I still need to change my oil ASAP or can I go another 1000 miles safely until its the normal time to change?
Even without the antifreeze it should be changed because you have to have loosened up some crud changing the gasket. Now for sure you need to change it.

langer1 said:
Even without the antifreeze it should be changed because you have to have loosened up some crud changing the gasket. Now for sure you need to change it.

yes i definatly agree the crap around the valve cover and now the water that is in there is a no no just change it and save the headache for something else.

Back