• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

used forklift to test flex, now leans to left side...

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

I just installed the RE 5.5" lift kit (shirt arm) on my 96 XJ.

I had my jeep at work yesterday and wanted to check out the flex of this new kit, so i grabbed a forklift and pulled the pins on my jks discos.

the kit flexxed great! i lifted the front left tire, and then the back left, held it there a few minutes and crawled all around, checking out clearences and shock travel etc etc...all looked good. (note: i only lifted from the front left and front right, and i have NO rear sway bar)

then i put the jeep back down and went to hook the discos back up and i was only able to get the front left on, i had to unscrew the right disco to drop it about 1/2" to get it to align back on the pin.

I then noticed that my whole jeep had a decent lean to the left.....

i let it sit for awhile, and it looks like it levled out a bit, but i still notice a decent lean right now.

is this normal?

should i disconnect the sway bar again and lift up the front right and back right tires to even it out?

or should i just let it even out on its own? (will it??)

please help!

Thanks

CaptTrev

CaptTrev said:
i had to unscrew the right disco to drop it about 1/2" to get it to align back on the pin.

your discos are probably holding it crooked right now...

go wheeling with your off road machine! and disconect the disco's.

then drive home with out the front swaybar

then re-conect the disco and id bet you have to shorten that right side and it sits level again...

XJ Ranger - I really hope you are right....

I'm going to give that a try this evening hopefully....

does anybody else have any other ideas/opinions??

thanks,

CaptTrev

On both my lifted MJ and XJs, after wheeling em (or even just driving em) they would sit/lean to one side or the other. Neither had a swaybar so that wasn't it. Your unequal length QD links aren't helping :D

I could lift up/rock the body on the offending corner to square things up... but I never was that concerned about it - just figured it was one of those (lifted/abused) Jeep things.

i got out of work late this afternoon, and i have class tonight that i have to drive the jeep to....

so maybe what ill try for now is to simply unhook the discos and let it sit over night, and take a look at it in the morning

heh - i know the different length discos arent helping me any right now, but i need em to drive on the highway to school and back tonight

CaptTrev said:
i got out of work late this afternoon, and i have class tonight that i have to drive the jeep to....

so maybe what ill try for now is to simply unhook the discos and let it sit over night, and take a look at it in the morning

heh - i know the different length discos arent helping me any right now, but i need em to drive on the highway to school and back tonight

unhooking something and letting it sit overnight?

what is this chem lab? do you expect a percipitate to form that you can seperate out with a buchner funnel?

there is no science to this...

get home, disco the swaybar, drive around the block, goose it in a turn to get some BIG body lean, and then do it the other way...

then get back to the level garage and look at it...

and dont be afraid to drive around the neighboorhood disconected - i ahvent had a front sway bar on my DD for 6 months... (i have other things)

XJ_ranger said:
get home, disco the swaybar, drive around the block, goose it in a turn to get some BIG body lean, and then do it the other way...
(i have other things)
just dont flip it.

Ditch the front swaybar all together & drive it like a truck, not a sports car. It will ride a lot better also, much softer in front. Then after a while, the lift will start to settle.

Rob $.02

FELIX said:
Ditch the front swaybar all together & drive it like a truck, not a sports car. It will ride a lot better also, much softer in front. Then after a while, the lift will start to settle.

Rob $.02

I disconnected mine and cant really tell a difference but I dont drive that fast in turn tho

Jeepsloth said:
just park it in areas that make it look level
or park it in ways that it will be meaningfully exaggerated...e.g., one tire on the curb, or a stump, or a rock, or a shit ton pile of rocks, or the pos rice honda in the space next to yours...you get the idea.

Do you have a high-lift jack? if you do jack up the side that is leaning and connect the sway bar up (the same length as the other side, and you'll be set). You can also leave the one side hooked up, other unhooked, and drive up on curb, hill, block of wood... whatever on the side with the sway bar hooked up. This will allow the axle to open up on the side you can't hook up. If you have a friend that will lift up the lower corner to hook the sway-bar up, sometimes that will work too.

Like Woody said, this is the effect of having an off-road equiped Jeep. They are going to lean, and be unlevel to some extent. I think of it as my favorite, well worn baseball hat, that rim is never perfectly straight, and that's what I like about it.

My MJ is never level with that spool twisting the suspension up either. Every time I put it in the garage it leans to the side. You'll just get used to it, and it is normal.

FELIX said:

Rob $.02

Thats all fine and dandy until you have a little kid run out in front of you or a car pull out and you have to make a emergency manuver (sp) and end up on your top...

jrsxj98 said:
Thats all fine and dandy until you have a little kid run out in front of you or a car pull out and you have to make a emergency manuver (sp) and end up on your top...

Been there plenty, w/o any swaybars. No problems. But then again everyones driving skills are different.

Rob

ok

i went wheeling today with the sway bar off...

im amazed at how well this RE kit flexes!

i tried to flex each corneer as best as i could and pound around over bumps alot etc etc.

when i got home, and back to the level-floored garage, i still noticed a lean to the left...hmmph

so, i unhooked the discos, jacked up the left side of my jeep, until level, then i reset the discos to line-up on their pins in this new positon, connected the, and then let the jack down...

well, it looks like this helped a bit---we'll see if, over the next few weeks it evens out.

but I know what a couple of you guys are sayin though---how lifted jeeps always seem to be leaning one way or the other....and it doesnt look weird.....it just sort of is what it is.

well, i will keep you all posted

thanks

CaptTrev

live with the lean. mine has a lean, and i just swapped the packs from side to side hoping to level it out some. it adds character.

that's a lot of advice! As for me, my jeep has never been level.

Back