• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving/fog light Q's

Dingy ?

Couldn't really tell if they would be any good due to the overwhelming amount of trademark infringement.

eBay said:
This AUCTION is for a 55 WATT pair of DENJI Halogen Off Road High Performance Super Bright Fog Lights!!! These lights can be used on Jeeps, Trucks, Suv's, 4x4 vehicles. Mount on your bumper, roll bars, push bars or where ever you need or want lighting.
I never trust vendors who don't have a clue what they are selling.

There are three kinds of lights:

(1) Driving lights have a long, narrow pencil beam for reaching out far ahead of the vehicle at high speed. Round housings and reflectors work best for this.

(2) Fog lights have a very wide, flat beam that lights the full width of the road and shoulders for a very short distance ahead of the vehicle, with a sharp vertical cutoff. Rectangular housings and reflectors work best for this.

(3) Off-Road lights are like floodlights -- they basically throw a lot of light over a beam that is fairly wide both vertically and horizontally. Round housings and reflectors work best for this.

So, first, which do you want? You can't have one light that does all three, because they are mutually exclusive.

Second, this vendor claims to be selling an "off-road fog light" ... whatever that is ... that can be mounted anywehere. Another contradiction in terms. Fog lights should be mounted as close to the road surface as possible, and under no circumstances higher than the headlights. Off-road lights work best if mounted high -- like on a rooftop light bar.

My advice on this "deal"? Run away!

thanks Eagle. I've never need driving/fog or off raod lights for my mustang.....thats why im asking everyones advice. I'll probably go with fog lights to replace the originals.

I think that the reason that seller is selling them as "Offroad Lights" is because even though there only 55watts they don't have DOT approval.

I think it's important to consider what you will be using the lights for when deciding what type of light to buy.

Driving lights are great for, well, driving. They don't provide much peripheral light but luminate objects far in front of you so they are good for going straight and fast.

For trails and rockcrawling, get some good floodlights. I got some semi-truck lights at 6-states distributors for like 8 bucks each. They have both spot and flood types. The flood lights work great for me on the trails. They are designed as area flood lights to be mounted on semis or trailers for backing and maneuvering purposes. They're mounted in a durable rubber housing and have a single wire hookup.

Jared:patriot:

Last night I picked up some Baja foggies and the look sweet. Is there a relay or switch that I can bypass to turn on the foggies with the parking lights only? Right now the only way the turn on is when the headlights are on.

Thanks

Back