• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing chai

kkerem

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I need some help with timing chain. I read the autozone repair info - there is one picture that shows how to install the chain. 15 pins should be beteen marks. Now, there is a problem, mine had 14 pins between, when I changed to 15 the engine started to backfire. Can I find some factory specs somewhere, how it should be?

The only picture I have is here

I think more important than the number of links between sprockets (since that's subject to miscounting or manufacturing changes) is checking the timing proper.

If you're not sure what's going on, here's how to check...

1) Set the timing chain up per OEM. Marks on sprockets should be directly inline, on a line drawn between the centres of the sprockets (the cam centreline, crank centreline, cam timing mark, and crank timing mark should all form a straight line. Verify with a straightedge.)

2) Without installing the front cover, use the crankshaft nose bolt to turn the crankshaft EXACTLY ONE FULL TURN. At this point, the camshaft timing mark should be back on the line you used for everything a minute ago, but should now be on the top end of the line (past the cam centreline.)

3) Again, turn the crankshaft nose bolt EXACTLY ONE FULL TURN. At this point, you should be back where you started.

If that's good, put the cover on and finish the job. Counting sprocket teeth/pins/links/whatever never really held much of my faith - a dynamic check of timing is usually better. If you want to be really thorough, go through the above cycle three or four times, and make sure it all comes right back where you started.

5-90

FWIW the procedure in the FSM is to install with the marks aligned, then turn the crank to the position shown in that diagram (looks like that would be 1 - 1/2 crank revolutions) and count the (15) links to verify correct instalation. Sort of a sanity check I suppose. If you are trying to install just by counting links I think you are asking for trouble.

Back