• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242: stuck in 2wd unless box in neutral

grahamtwatson

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 XJ Ltd Auto with a 242 won't shift from 2wd to anything else unless the auto box is in neutral anymore, then it will go into 4wd. The level feels *really* stiff as well. Everything was working fine. The only thing I've done recently is replace the exhaust manifold and put in new injectors. I guess I could have left a vacuum pipe disconnected, but I've checked and I don't think so. Also the level itself is really stiff - feels as though it's binding or something.

I do have a small trans fluid leak from either the back of the auto box or the front of the transfer box, but I don't think I'm really low on fluid (only just found this problem, and I've not had chance to try topping up the transfer box yet).

Any ideas?

grahamtwatson said:
I do have a small trans fluid leak from either the back of the auto box or the front of the transfer box, but I don't think I'm really low on fluid (only just found this problem, and I've not had chance to try topping up the transfer box yet).
Which 4wd modes did you try? Full Time? Part Time? Low?
Anyways, you might want to top it off sooner than later.

Arrrgh!

So I just checked the fluid level. Whatever is in there now looks more like a creamy latte than transmission fluid. It looks a lot like it's got a LOT of water in there. WTF?

It had all the fluids changed by a garage a couple of months / about a thousand miles ago. Could they have put the wrong fluid in?

How on earth would water get into the transfer case? (I'm assuming that's what it is).

If it's actually transmission fluid "gone bad", what could have caused it?

grahamtwatson said:
Arrrgh!

So I just checked the fluid level. Whatever is in there now looks more like a creamy latte than transmission fluid. It looks a lot like it's got a LOT of water in there. WTF?

It had all the fluids changed by a garage a couple of months / about a thousand miles ago. Could they have put the wrong fluid in?

How on earth would water get into the transfer case? (I'm assuming that's what it is).

If it's actually transmission fluid "gone bad", what could have caused it?
Drain the tcase asap, put in atf, drive around, check it, drain it and refill it again.
Did you drive through water since the fluid change?

Kejtar said:
Drain the tcase asap, put in atf, drive around, check it, drain it and refill it again.

I agree ASAP!
Flush it with regular ATF, then fill it with Mobil 1 ATF.

It could be a bad tranny or engine mount causing binding.

I spoil my Jeep! I use only Mobil 1 fluids. even grease. :eek:)

Try some it will like it.

It's not been in any deep water - we did get a little rain (in Seattle - who would think!) but that's the nearest it's been to any water.

I'm curious on the comment on the "bad engine mount or tranny causing binding" - is there anything you can suggest to test for this, and do you mean that this might cause the lever to stick or that it might be the reason for the really odd looking fluid?

I'll flush the fluid straight away, but I really want to understand how it got that way in the first place!

Cheers,
G

Oh, and thanks for the REALLY quick responses - much appreciated.

Im not sure of the reason for fluid condition...

All I can say is flush it all out.
and keep an eye on the condition of it periodically.

The broken motor/tranny mount MIGHT cause binding of the levers.

So I changed the oil last night, and drove it into work today.
Good news is it shifts again, and was also a lot quieter than before - hadn't noticed the noise until it stopped.
Bad news is that after about 10 miles it started making a rather loud whining noise, especially at low speed and also load dependant - not sure why yet, but there is definitely *something* wrong.

I'll change the oil again tonight, but any suggestions as to what to look for? - I can't afford to change the transfer case oil every ten miles!

grahamtwatson said:
So I changed the oil last night, and drove it into work today.
Good news is it shifts again, and was also a lot quieter than before - hadn't noticed the noise until it stopped.
Bad news is that after about 10 miles it started making a rather loud whining noise, especially at low speed and also load dependant - not sure why yet, but there is definitely *something* wrong.

I'll change the oil again tonight, but any suggestions as to what to look for? - I can't afford to change the transfer case oil every ten miles!
Is it low again? That T-Case has it's own Oil pump and can pump it dry fast.

Same thing happened on the way home - nice and quiet to start with, then started with the whining noise after about eight miles. Seemed to start right after turning a corner, definitely louder according to engine load, speed not rpm dependant, and seems to be louder when turning sharply. 2WD or 4WD has no effect.

Swapped the trans fluid again last night - it came out pink rather than red - dunno if it was air in it or the remains of the previous stuff that was in there. Didn't make any difference though, eight miles into work this morning the noise was back. :-(

One good thing is that it's shifting between 2WD and 4WD perfectly now.

If anyone has any ideas on how to isolate this to the trans case for certain, I'd love to hear - I'd hate to do a lot of work on it and then find out it was the auto box or something else. I'd also love to hear a list of "try this first...."

Graham

P.S. Anyone wanna sell me a 242 21 spline cheap?

Hmmm.. all of a sudden I'm not sure it is the transfer box. When I parked tonight I could get the whine whilst stationary with the brake applied when I pressed on the accelerator. Surely there is nothing moving past the auto box if all the wheels are stationary? Strange that it should only start when I got the problem with the transfer box not shifting though. Transmission fluid is up to level and looks nice and clean. Noise sounds as if it's coming from around the area of the transfer box, but it's really hard to tell...

Just to (hopefully) close this one off, it turns out that the whine is something to do with the power steering - it just started on the same day as I changed the transfer case fluid.

New thread....

Back