• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

complete a/c to OBA write up... tons of *PICS*

i have the same question as the other guy -

The sanden Air compressors are cooled by the freon that runs through them - what are you doing to cool yours?

how is the compressor actuated? do you have to turn the AC on in the cab or did you make a new switch? (i had teh AC switch go out in the cab and wired a new switch and still use it for AC, but that sucker pulls like 5a and will kill a battery quick if you leave it on...)

XJ_ranger said:
i have the same question as the other guy -

The sanden Air compressors are cooled by the freon that runs through them - what are you doing to cool yours?

how is the compressor actuated? do you have to turn the AC on in the cab or did you make a new switch? (i had teh AC switch go out in the cab and wired a new switch and still use it for AC, but that sucker pulls like 5a and will kill a battery quick if you leave it on...)
You use a pressure switch.

Okie Terry said:
You use a pressure switch.

Duh-holland.jpg

ok - but what about cooling/oiling?

XJ_ranger said:
ok - but what about cooling/oiling?
You use an in-line tool oiler and the heat exits the compressor when it's being run. Just make sure to let the oiler send a drop about every 3 to 5 seconds.
Here, like this, except the soft hose and barbed fittings don't work, because of the heat, and the seperator melts, but it's not needed.....
is.php

is.php

is.php

Last edited:
ok, then you just run standard air tool oil in the oiler?

cool.

just to make sure I understand -
on the input side you have an inline air tool oiler with some oil in it that drips oil at about one drop every 3-5 seconds, and that will lube the compressor and your air tools.

what do you do to keep your regulator from melting if the seperator melted?

XJ_ranger said:
ok, then you just run standard air tool oil in the oiler?

cool.

just to make sure I understand -
on the input side you have an inline air tool oiler with some oil in it that drips oil at about one drop every 3-5 seconds, and that will lube the compressor and your air tools.

what do you do to keep your regulator from melting if the seperator melted?
The seperator had a plastic bowl on it.
That's why it melted.

The regulator is the pressure switch and anything the air touches is metal.
Besides, it's far enough downstream that by the time the air gets to it, it's dissipated enough that it's cool enough to touch.

Now that I think of it, I could run an identical seperator, but put it just at the P.switch and it would remove the condensated droplets from the airline without being melted.

Thanks, Ranger, you're a genius.

BTW, all copper line will dissipate heat just like the condenser idea, but not affect the engine cooling.
Rubber hose just barely dissipates enough.

Last edited:
Okie Terry said:
Now that I think of it, I could run an identical seperator, but put it just at the P.switch and it would remove the condensated droplets from the airline without being melted.

and the water droplets are messing up the pressure switch?

ok - i think i see how this works now...

and am still going to use an externaly oiled york system when mine comes...

thanks OT

Okie Terry said:
No, but they're really annoying to watch going through my transparent coiled hose.

bet reason to modify a good working OBA system EVER!

you may also want to throw a one way valve in there mine would leak down every so often and keep switchin the compressor on. now with a one way valve i can loose my compressor and still run the arb for about 5 years on a 5gal tank :laugh3:

ya so each time I run it I drop about 4-5 drops of 3-in-1 oil in the intake side where the brass cap is. It works perfectly and hasnt frozen up on me since. I like the idea about the one way check valve but my local mom and pop store didnt have one so im going 2 have 2 order 1 of the net

Okie Terry said:
Thanks, Ranger, you're a genius.

BTT - Terry called me a Genius!

Is the oiler for the air tools? Why put it on at all the compressior has its own oiling system and resivoir.

Ghost said:
Is the oiler for the air tools? Why put it on at all the compressior has its own oiling system and resivoir.
Yorks do.
Sandens don't.

kid4lyf said:
Yorks do.
Sandens don't.
Then why do they have a hole to pour oil in and all that?

Back