• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

318/360 in an xj

This may be a bit off your goal but i swapped an AMC 304 into mine n it even bolts directly up to the original AW-4 tranny just had to figure out mounting and exhuast. Another good swap is the older AMC 360 found in some waggies it's block is nearly identical to the 304 except bore size and will bolt up to the AW-4 aswell. I turned away from the fuel injected ones because of the comlex wiring but Edlbrock now has multiport injection manifolds for both these engines which are way more simple and more powerful.

Back when 4Wheel Drive Sport Utility magazine was called 4Wheel Drive Action (long time ago) they (the publisher and wife died in a plane crash) did a build up of an XJ that consisted of 35s (HUGE back then) and a 360 V8 swap (can't remember if it was an AMC or Mopar, though) maybe you could get back copies (?) I threw all my old magazines (data) away when I went through my divorce. What was I thinking!.........Hans

I ran into a guy in Lex. ky, that HAS done the swap, and used FACTORY Jeep parts for it. So, now that I have finally gotten a response to this question from when I asked it about 2 months ago, I will now answer it to the best that I remember of what I was told: You need the frame side mounts from a ZJ with a V-8. The holes are marked AND a few of them are actually used by the exsisting brackets in the XJ, this guy welded his mounts in after he used a couple bolts per side to locate the ZJ brackets. Next,use a MAGNUM block for the motor, and the DAKOTA engine side brackets, or use the PRE-magnum engine and use ZJ motor side brackets ( it might be the other way on the engine brackets, but he said that you could definately use parts off of those two trucks). As for exhaust, the ZJ manifolds work best, but you DO have to watch how you run your fuel lines, so that they do not get too hot. His radiator was mount at an angle, running from the bottom at the front bumper (crossmember was removed for space, and heavy duty bumper is used to protect radiator) and then tilted back towards the motor for clearance of hood, with an electric fan being used.
Well, since I have learned this, I will now be USING the information during this coming week for parts gathering. I will start this install this coming weekend, AND, since I have a friend bringing his dig. camera over, IT IS PICTURE TIME.
So, keep watching for updates on this and what PROBLEMS I run into, and how to solve them.

Back