• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PORC Output Bearing

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Does this look right to y'all? I opened up the PORC SYE and noticed that the tailhousing output bearing had only nine bearings, spaced apart by what seem to be fat globs of vaseline.

Will this be a problem with durability over the long term, especially with extended highway mileage at 75+mph?

porcbearing.jpg

Apologies for the pic, but that's what you get when a crappy HP camera tries to shoot the inside of an aluminum housing

Yes your OK,Checked the bearings that came in the re-build kit .Had the same 9 ball bearings.
i just hope yours doesn,t leak from the output seal.You dont happen to have a part #for the rear output shaft seal handy,do you ??
I have the unit from Collins Bros.They look to be the same.
Wayne

I don't think it will be a problem. Did you expect more bearings?

BTW I'm running your 17" LCA's, at least the jeeper I bought them from said they were originally yours. They found their way onto an MJ.

they'll be bathed in ATF (normally) so heat and lubrication shouldn't be an issue.

Wayne - thanks for verifying that. I can't see a seal part number and since the tailhousing is already assembled I hope you'll understand my reluctance to pull it apart yet.

Bounty - I don't think those are my LCAs as I've only had stockers and the current RE Adjustable LCAs. For some reason I was expecting more bearings in there...guess I'll have to see what I see down the road.

Yucca-Man said:
Bounty - I don't think those are my LCAs as I've only had stockers and the current RE Adjustable LCAs. For some reason I was expecting more bearings in there...guess I'll have to see what I see down the road.

im pretty sure that i was shocked at the same thing - and took of the tailcone to find it to be almost the same bearing as the stocker unit - with a different ID, but yeah...

I reasoned that the larger the balls and the fewer of them - the bigger the gap for ATF to flow and cool them?

:shrug: My AA unit with the bearings that look like that has been in two t-cases now and is pulling strong every time i drive to wallmart...

I've got the front from a YJ t-case and noticed the backside of the same type bearing in the front output (how's that for a convoluted sentence?) so at this point I'm not going to sweat it. Thanks all.

bicycle makers - solely for the sake of assembly-line efficiency - squeeze their balls into cages :kissyou: that way they go into their races fast, no chance of a loose nut, I mean ball, escaping from the assembly line process :wierd:

plus balls cost less to make than stamped cages; more bikes/less time = increased profits blah, blah, blah...

seriously, 'cuz bike bearings generate very little heat, especially in the headset and bottom bracket (fancy name for crank bearing assembly) that's ok, but being somewhat anal, I usually nix the cage and cram a few more balls hasta for that imaginary smoother ride.

I strongly doubt that this is a good idea in a motor vehicle, I'm sure engineers and accountants counted just enough balls to have us accept that's enough, but less balls = more heat, and coolers of all types are popular, as are frequent fluid drops.

That's not saying I'd just love to increase bearing surfaces by, say, 20 -25%, but I don't think it's a good idea in our xj's.

There is a cogent message here, just muddled up a bit by lack of sleep.

Mike

Just to let this thread die, I finally got into the t-case today and of course the first thing I noticed when I got the output seal off was this:
np231_outj.jpg

That's stock...no more worries about the PORCer at least in this regard. Now if I could only remember where I put the lockring pliers I bought 48 hours ago. Oy.

Slightly O/T, but have you considered a small wall cabinet for the once-in-a-blue-moon/specialty tools? I snagged a small kitchen cabinet for mine.

ren said:
Slightly O/T, but have you considered a small wall cabinet for the once-in-a-blue-moon/specialty tools? I snagged a small kitchen cabinet for mine.

my lockring pliers are in the tool bag in the jeep...

taken my t-case apart too many times to leave them at home...

ren - I have an old bookshelf that holds my oddball tools, but this one didn't even get that far. Talk about a pisser...looks like there's a bike ride over to the parts store in my near future.

Yeah, I have had to do that, too. People look at me like WTF when I swipe my boys' mini-chopper moped and drive to town. AND usually, when I get home, and go to put the tool up, I FIND THE OTHER ONE!!!

Yeah, especially those funky bend in the middle buses that you have S.D.

Back