• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Went straight-piped

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheeling today and decided to hit a new mudhole, did it 3 times & the XJ went thru great, on the return trail I strattled a log & ripped my exhaust out.

I broke the cat off right before it and I broke the muffler off right after the cat and right after the muffler so I've got 3 pieces. The exhaust is brand new so how can I fix it? Sounds redneck but will JBweld stand up to exhaust temps? Also will this kill my gas mileage going straight-piped? I will try to get some pics. 90XJ 4.0 5spd
Thanks for the help

BTW-The 4.0 sounds like a HEMI now...

JB Weld will not work. Take it and have it welded.

About how much can I expect to dish out when having someone weld it? Also will exhaust hangers from any other cars or an S10 Blazer work? I ripped mine out& lost most of the rest.

Just currious, will this kill my gas mileage or make it better?

Last edited:
I´d be more concerned about what I did to my exhaust manifold, remember they are all connected. I´ve tore up my manifold, just by crushing the cross over pipe.
I´ve had the local speed shop, make me some pipe adaptors, they have the machine to stretch them to fit over the original. Looks crappy though with all the muffler clamps, welding is better.

You will probably see some poor MPG #s as I did when I was missing my muffler. I think the CAT and muffler are providing some back pressure that is necessary at lower speeds. I don't know all the details on this, but I've seen the MPG change in my XJ. Anyone else have a good explaination on the necessecity of some back pressure.

I also agree that you need to check your exhaust mani. The stock mani's develop leaks rather easily and with the type of damage your talking about, you may have cracked it. Look for dark spots on the exterior of the manifold where exhaust gas has leaked through.

Call around to some local muffler shops. I had an entire exhaust system welded at a muffler shop in Mesa, AZ a few years back and they only charged me $30.

Russ

Jeep puts a 1 13/16" ID restrictor in the system, along with an extra resonator, when shipping XJ´s to non cat countries. I doubt the restrictor is there only for noise control. CR3 Emission defeat kit.

Back