• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drill Doctor ?

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
I have hundreds of drill bits, collected over the last 40 years. As I have replaced them, the dull ones have been stored, in a now full, three pound coffee can. If I could sharpen them, I would be set for life

Does any one own a Drill Doctor. I'm especially interested in the models that sharpen larger bits, up to 3/4".

works great for what it is.there used to be two models get the bigger one ,i guess thats the one your thinking of .they work great

It really works amazingly well on larger bits, like around 5/16" and up..maybe a little smaller too. It is really hard to perfectly center ths smaller bits..causing you sharpen it off center, and they don't work too well. But the big bits are where the money is at, and this works wonders to use them until there is nothing left.

I think it's the 760 or 730 model that you're looking for that sharpen up to 3/4" bits. However, this model is EXACTLY the same as the 660/30, whatever they are. It just includes the extra guide that can support the larger drils. You can get that 600 model, and then buy that guide later on. That's the only difference.

it's worth it. _nicko_

Anyone ever hear of learning from an oldtimer how to grind your bits?
That's the best bit of advice I can give on this subject.
You've just got to learn it and drill it into your thick skull.

Okie Terry said:
or be a lazy-ass and just buy the drill doctor :D

seriously, I wish more old-timers took an interest in passing on what they know; I would love to just quietly follow, watch and listen to an old-school machinist go through his day

BrettM said:
or be a lazy-ass and just buy the drill doctor :D

seriously, I wish more old-timers took an interest in passing on what they know; I would love to just quietly follow, watch and listen to an old-school machinist go through his day
Some of the best machinists I've ever been around have been small town hicks.

Getting back on track.......

Yes it is worth it and is a valuable tool if you didn't get an old timer (is there such a thing anymore?) to teach you how to sharpen drill bits.

GI-John said:
Getting back on track.......

Yes it is worth it and is a valuable tool if you didn't get an old timer (is there such a thing anymore?) to teach you how to sharpen drill bits.
Actually, we have one at work that everyone can use.
I even used it once.
Funny thing is, everyone comes to me when they need a bit sharpened.

I always knew that old German was good for something.:D

Okie Terry said:

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, it the ‘big’ model I’m interested in. The bigger bits can get inexpensive and they almost never break. I had seen the article on Pirate but I’m always skeptical of web reports, you never know if the guy got the tool for free or what his relationship to the tool is. I doubt if any of you fall into this category.

Thirty years ago, I got a job with the government working as a maintenance mechanic. My boss was an old timer. He had grown up in his father’s machine shop and was one of the best mechanics and fabricators I have ever known. He could sharpen almost any tool using a bench grinder and a super-fine green stone.
Maybe my hand to eye coordination is bad because I never could get the hang of drill sharpening; the tips were almost always off center. It was cheaper to buy new a bit instead of screwing up a job with improperly sharpened drill.
I sure miss the old guy, he taught me a lot.

I love it use it daily. for bigger holes I would say switch to annular cutters quicker and more precise.I made the mistake of getting one for up to 1/2 I should have gotten the bigger one.

ROCKREADYXJ said:
I love it use it daily. for bigger holes I would say switch to annular cutters quicker and more precise.I made the mistake of getting one for up to 1/2 I should have gotten the bigger one.

Oh yes, certainly. I ordered the 750X, it will sharpen drills up to 3/4"
I see that two different sharpening stones are available, a course and fine.
Do I need both and what are the advantages of each?
Would the course be better to start grinding on large diameter drills, that are in bad shape, and then switch to the fine for the final sharpening?

I test drove those when I ran a Snap-on route... (they were pretty new then, 99-00) I sharpened all my own for practice, then demo'd it for customers & let them do their own. Sold a few with no complaints... they work well.

lazyxj said:
Oh yes, certainly. I ordered the 750X, it will sharpen drills up to 3/4"
I see that two different sharpening stones are available, a course and fine.
Do I need both and what are the advantages of each?
Would the course be better to start grinding on large diameter drills, that are in bad shape, and then switch to the fine for the final sharpening?

I think the course one is for broken bits to help grind them down faster. I remember reading that in the literature when I got it. I was taught how to sharpen drill bits when I worked as a machineist but I don't care how good you are this tool is way better. Good luck with it

I own the drill Doctor and I love it....But...

One thing to think about, which may, or may not, affect you. The rill Doctor does agreat job at sharpening drill bits for 99% of everyday use. But from a machinists point of view, you will never be able to get them 100%accurate with it. If you are doing any mill or lather or uber precision work, the resharpened drill bits will run a few thoudandsth bigger that they work from the factory. That is a very small amount, but if you are trying to hold a few thou, then you could run into an issue.....

But....

If you were doing that pricise work you will not use a drill bit for your final hole. because any machinist knows that the hole will not be perfectly round. You would drill under size and ream it with a pricision tool. I see your point on that but he is not building a space shuttle nor would you drill a hole that precise with a hand drill anyway.

Back