• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden Hitch question

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
is the supplied hardware that come with the hidden hitch(class 3) strong enough to be used as a recovery point or should i get the nut strips from the dealer?

id go with nutstrips as they spread the force out more, but the hidden hitch might use the nutstrips, my hitch does

The Hidden Hitches I have installed came with thick, square fish plates -- one for each bolt. I think the nut strips are better, but the truth is the fish plates are thicker than the nut strips so it may be a wash.

Eagle said:
the fish plates are thicker than the nut strips so it may be a wash.

thicker - but not wider

the nutstrips spread out the load on the frame better...

XJ_ranger said:
thicker - but not wider

the nutstrips spread out the load on the frame better...
Wider, also. The factory nut strips are 1" to 1-1/4" wide. The fish plates were the full width of the "frame" rail -- the nut strips are not.

Eagle said:
Wider, also. The factory nut strips are 1" to 1-1/4" wide. The fish plates were the full width of the "frame" rail -- the nut strips are not.

ok - sorry i didnt make sense with my last post -

the nutstrips are one piece that goes all the way from the front to the back, and in looking at the hardware that i got with my Draw-Tite the nut stips have a lot more surface contact than 4 of the little metal squares do.

i believe the hidden hitch to have slightly larger square metal pieces, but still not the surface contact of the nutstrip...

Just what i remember from installing 2 hitches on 2 different XJ's...

i have had my hidden hitch for about a year now, and i use it as a recovery point all the time, and i have not had any problems with it

hman333 said:
i have had my hidden hitch for about a year now, and i use it as a recovery point all the time, and i have not had any problems with it
are you using the hardware that comes with the hitch?

For what it's worth, I moved my hitch over a couple of inches in an accident, and the hidden hitch tabs held just as well on the drivers side as the factory strip did on the right.

thanks for all the input guys, looks like ill just use the hardwear when it comes in.

robz95xj said:
thanks for all the input guys, looks like ill just use the hardwear when it comes in.

I have used both the nutstrips and the square washers. Nutstrips are 10X easier to use IMHO.

Lets see it they are stong enough to tow......so you should be fine to use it as a recovery point. or maybe im just missing something here.

If anyone can rip one of those rectangular plates through the unibody on a hitch install then theyve got big problems.

Back