• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaybar bolt problems

slvrmdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I took off my RE Swaybar drop brackets today since I've realized they were unnecessary bc my discos are plenty long enough. When I tried to bolt the swaybar back up to the body w/out the brackets however, I've got one bolt that doesn't want to go back up into the nut inside the frame. It wants to go about halfway up before it starts getting ridiculously tough to turn. Have I crossthreaded this nut, meaning that now my swaybar is FUBAR and I'll have to run it with 3 out of 4 bolts, (not a wise decision in my opinion)? Do I risk breaking the nut off in the frame by trying to keep turning it, or is there something else I can try? Anyone else ever have trouble with this?

(I posted this here rather than in the OEM tech discussion board simply bc I reasoned that the "modified tech discussion," being mostly offroaders, would have had more experience messing w/ the swaybar and all of its hardware).

slvrmdxj said:
I took off my RE Swaybar drop brackets today since I've realized they were unnecessary bc my discos are plenty long enough. When I tried to bolt the swaybar back up to the body w/out the brackets however, I've got one bolt that doesn't want to go back up into the nut inside the frame. It wants to go about halfway up before it starts getting ridiculously tough to turn. Have I crossthreaded this nut, meaning that now my swaybar is FUBAR and I'll have to run it with 3 out of 4 bolts, (not a wise decision in my opinion)? Do I risk breaking the nut off in the frame by trying to keep turning it, or is there something else I can try? Anyone else ever have trouble with this?

(I posted this here rather than in the OEM tech discussion board simply bc I reasoned that the "modified tech discussion," being mostly offroaders, would have had more experience messing w/ the swaybar and all of its hardware).

Ive had similar problems
remove the bolt check the threads if it looks OK then
what I would do is PB blaster the bolt and the nut
for a while then try and install again..
(sometimes bolts seem to install into the same nut OK but not on another nut thats the same size for some reason) you could try athe other bolts in that spot and see if one actually works better..

so what I would do is try the above if not then go ahead and crank on it.
if it snaps then grind it off and put some spot welds on it and let it go at that

IIRC you could use a smaller diamter bolt and go all the way through and use a nut on the other side

One of my bolts snapped before. I just knocked the weld nut out , dropped a bolt down the hole, and threaded an nut on the end. You would have to take the bumper off to get a wrench in there through the access hole in the front behind the bumper.

semisynth said:
One of my bolts snapped before. I just knocked the weld nut out , dropped a bolt down the hole, and threaded an nut on the end. You would have to take the bumper off to get a wrench in there through the access hole in the front behind the bumper.

Man I hope I don't have to go thru all that, not hard it doesn't sound, but annoying.

Thanks for the tips guys.

own a tap set?

find the threads and pitch of your bolt, and clean the threads in the nut in the frame?

Back