• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front turn signal issues...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
What separates the front/rear turn signal current?

My flashers haven't worked for a while and I've been manually "flashing" my turn signals...

I discovered neither of my front turn signals light up...

I just checked the bulbs on both sides and they are good...

When I turn on the hazards, the rears flash, but nothing on the front, they don't even light up...

While I'm on the subject...

Where is the flasher located for the turn signals?

I suspect I have a steering column gremlin anyway, but just in case...

Thanks

There should be two flasher "cans" on the fuse panel (if you have an older XJ) -- one is the 4-way flashers, the other is turn signals.

If the rears work, you probably don't have a steering column problem. Try gerry-rigging a jumper wire from each front socket to ground and try them again.

Not sure about the '88, but there is(?) a connector(10 contact) located just behind the lefthand headlamp that carries all the signals for the front lighting -- corrosion/bad contact.

Eagle said:
There should be two flasher "cans" on the fuse panel (if you have an older XJ) -- one is the 4-way flashers, the other is turn signals.

If the rears work, you probably don't have a steering column problem. Try gerry-rigging a jumper wire from each front socket to ground and try them again.

jerry rig a ground wire to ground from the socket itself or from the ground wire?

Gil, there's a connector in the area of the drivers side lower dash. it's a black connector i think, it has a weird shape, flat and many wires. you might want to check that. mine was coming loose on me one time, and my turns weren't working properly.

even though the bulbs look good and test good, the lead contacts could be compressed and no longer making contact. Mine was doing this recently, rears lit up just fine, but nothing on the front, even though the bulbs were 'good' and I was getting voltage in the wires. New bulbs fixed it.

Gil BullyKatz said:
jerry rig a ground wire to ground from the socket itself or from the ground wire?
If you still have the OEM sockets, they should be nylon or plastic. To run a new ground reliably you can just strip a half inch off the end of a straded wire and stick the bare end in between the socket shell and the base of the bulb. Tapping the wire won't trouble shoot a problem inside the socket. That's what was bad on my '87 MJ. Replaced the entire socket with an aftermarket metal one and I had blinkers again.

Eagle said:
If you still have the OEM sockets, they should be nylon or plastic. To run a new ground reliably you can just strip a half inch off the end of a straded wire and stick the bare end in between the socket shell and the base of the bulb. Tapping the wire won't trouble shoot a problem inside the socket. That's what was bad on my '87 MJ. Replaced the entire socket with an aftermarket metal one and I had blinkers again.

Getting closer...

Found the 10 pin connector behind the headlight...

Disconnected and cleaned it...

No results...

Did the jerry rig to the bulb socket...

bulb lights up but no flashing...

BUT...

It does flash when I turn the hazards on...

Seems like both front signals are going to need supplemental grounding...

Right?

Will try to finish during daylight tommorow..

Thanks!

Gil BullyKatz said:
Getting closer...

Found the 10 pin connector behind the headlight...

Disconnected and cleaned it...

No results...

Did the jerry rig to the bulb socket...

bulb lights up but no flashing...

BUT...

It does flash when I turn the hazards on...

Seems like both front signals are going to need supplemental grounding...

Right?

Will try to finish during daylight tommorow..

Thanks!
I had to get new sockets also, the rubber there made of got hard and did not make good contact with the bulbs.

Back